The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch toggle levers
Are the early and late clutch toggle levers the same profile? They certainly appear so.

Or to put it more bluntly, if I grind the protrusions of a set of hammerhead type, can I use them for a 3-speed clutch?

I'm not being mean, it's just that I want to get the clutch done today and only have a poor set of early levers, and a quantity of good late ones.
I use late type levers, with the hammerhead, and a four speed release bearing on a 3 speed engine and gear box. No problems. And no, I don't bother with mousetrap springs.
I know of a number of other people with the same set up. Much easier on the release bearing because it's not always revolving.

Charles
(28-05-2018, 03:54 PM)Charles P Wrote: I use late type levers, with the hammerhead, and a four speed release bearing on a 3 speed engine and gear box. No problems. And no, I don't bother with mousetrap springs.
I know of a number of other people with the same set up. Much easier on the release bearing because it's not always revolving.

Charles

Thank you, Charles.

I will see if I can find a good 4 speed release bearing (although the 3-speed one is brand new).

John

(28-05-2018, 04:04 PM)John Mims Wrote:
(28-05-2018, 03:54 PM)Charles P Wrote: I use late type levers, with the hammerhead, and a four speed release bearing on a 3 speed engine and gear box. No problems. And no, I don't bother with mousetrap springs.

Charles
Should have said that I used the combination you recommend on my own car, Charles. One of my sons has just bought an RN and it is the clutch on that we are trying to sort. It came with a brand new 3-speed release bearing, and it seemed a shame to not use it.
Next job to do on my RN. Had to remove the carpet so I could get enough clutch movement to drive home with.
I fit a ring, sometimes two, inside the clutch thrust toggle cage on three speed cars bob. This usually restores the pedal height.

Charles

My memory letting me down again! When I used a 3-speed engine and 4-speed release bearing, I was fitting a 4-speed gearbox. With the RN it's 3-speed, of course.

I've found a 4-speed release bearing, but on the 3-speed gearbox, the flange is missing for the circlip  that holds the retaining/return spring on the release bearing. Do I just fit it without the return spring?

John
Clutch bearing conversion will add photo shortly

Photo of bearing on 3spd g/box you can fit toggle springs on a 3spd flywheel by turning out the pressure plate to the inside diameter of the clutch lining
  which makes room for the toggle springs if you need any more info pm me your email.
   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(28-05-2018, 06:57 PM)John Mims Wrote:

Charles

My memory letting me down again! When I used a 3-speed engine and 4-speed release bearing, I was fitting a 4-speed gearbox. With the RN it's 3-speed, of course.

I've found a 4-speed release bearing, but on the 3-speed gearbox, the flange is missing for the circlip  that holds the retaining/return spring on the release bearing. Do I just fit it without the return spring?

John

I never use the spring.

Charles
Thanks for your help, Terry and Charles.

John

Charles

Not sure how you can be sure the clutch bearing isn't being turned by the levers flying out without the mousetrap springs to hold then in place- or possibly even worse the levers are sliding around the bearing.

Tony.