The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil pressure take off - leaking seal washer
Hi all
Went for a spin today and when I got home noticed a fair bit of oil had escaped.. on investigation it’s leaking from the brass union at the back of the crankcase that is the oil pressure take off. I have a fibre washer there sealing but it seems that when it gets hot it goes hard and starts to leak. What do people use to make a good deal here? A washer of different material or just some gasket glue under the union??
Cheers
R
IIRC it's a BSP thread (tapered ?) I'd use PTFE tape.
You don't need much sealant of any kind as the running pressure is around 2Psi and even when cold, its only about 12 Psi
(26-05-2018, 06:27 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: IIRC it's a BSP thread (tapered ?) I'd use PTFE tape.

Unfortunately not tapered.. May try the ptfe tape though?
I use Dowty seals for the flat seatings of parallel BSP fittings. The oil pressure take off is 1/8" BSP. Some for sale here: 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSP-Dowty-Hyd...Wm0cnvKJvw#

I'd be wary of using PTFE tape on the oil system in case some of the PTFE ended up obstructing an oil jet.
All you need to do is remove the union, clean it and the thread in the crankcase and refit with the fibre washer and a few drops of loctite screwlock which will stop it coming undone and also create a seal.
Dowry seals as Stuart suggests are excellent and Loctite may also seal it, however in the case of this union, provided everything is in good condition I have never had an issue with leaks. I would take it apart and inspect for a reason, are you sure it is coming from under the washer not through the conical seating?
Black Art Enthusiast