The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different halfshaft tapers
I have seen at one of the cherished suppliers that there are halfshafts (and the corresponding hubs) with extended taper.

Since I am in the process of putting together a shopping list of parts for a rear axle rebuild, I am wondering if the ones with the longer taper are recommended by anyone.
I need to replace the old ones anyway, only snag is that I had to buy a new hub shortly ago and would need two new, different ones if going to the long taper ones instead of just one standard hub.

Thank you for any ideas or replies.

Ralf

PS Obviously I am a newbie ! Smile I did not realize that I have not posted on the new forum !
I'll let someone clever answer your question Ralf. Just wanted to say whichever you choose, do the halfshaft nuts up TIGHT. The taper should transmit the torque, not the key. Extend your spanner with a bit of tube and heave.
Thanks for that, Chris.
Very true - and hasn´t been obeyed sometime in the past..
One of the key ways is badly worn, so I guess there must have been quite some movement in the past.
One reason why I want to use new shafts.
The extended taper half shafts are stronger, well the taper grips better so can transmit more torque, excellent for those who are building high powered specials. They are of course longer so a standard wheel centre can not be fitted because the end of the shaft protrudes to far, the very last of the Rubys had them fitted and got round the problem with the late type wheel centre which has just enough depth.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thank you for that info - that does help me with the decision.
Although it is a 27 (special) , we have the later wheel centres, having had wheels made like the ones on Mrs.JoJo with triple lace.
So maybe it is worth spending the money for one more hub.
I still could put the surplus one on ebay... ;-)
Just to clarify, I am talking about the plated caps which fit into the centre of the wheel.
Black Art Enthusiast
Yes - that is the hub type we have on the rear.

Nice picture but I think the split pin should be fitted with its head inside the castellation and the tail folded back over the end of 1/2 shaft.
Am I being too much of a purist here? !

Charles
Yes - you are right...shame on me.
The nearside one is correct - just checked.
I must have done it because it looks good ! Tongue

Had to take off everything because of a broken brake shoe spring last week...