The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historic Vehicle Status and MOT exemption in the UK...
Do I need to reapply for Historic Vehicle Status for all my (old) cars?

I have read that I do and that I will need to fill in a V172 - does anybody know more please?
I have now spoken with DVLA who tell me that when the tax reminder comes in for my cars registered as "Historic" I should take the reminder letter, and a completed V112 form, to a main Post Office who complete the changeover, I was told it could not be done on-line.

I was also told that I do not need to do this until my tax reminder letter comes in.

Happy to hear of others experience with this please.
Thanks for the info Ruairidh
Hi Ruairidh

Looking at this on other forums, there appears to be a lot of confusion and differing views and some Post Offices advising that they have not had training. I have also read that people have done all this on line, below is a screen shot of what they got when they did it on line.

There is also the issue of if the car has been substantially changed int he last 30 years.

I think the best thing to do is keep checking what is happening on other forums to see what other experiences are and to re Tax the car as soon as possible, or try.  But be very care full not to loose the Historic Status of the car. 

Hi
It does not apply to cars already registered as historic and already exempt from MOT all pre 1960.
All registered Historic cars after 1960 until 1977 which an need an MOT need to complete V112 form to be exempt from the MOT. (they are exempt from tax but not MOT)
AS the 40 years is a rollover, all cars registered in 1978 and next year all the car registered in 1979 on so on (depending on the month they are registered) will need to complete the forms for Tax and MOT exemptions and be registered as historic vehicles. This will also apply to all cars discovered or restored newly which does not have any paperwork.
(23-05-2018, 01:21 PM)Edgar Lowe Wrote: Hi
It does not apply to cars already registered as historic and already exempt from MOT all pre 1960.
All registered Historic cars after 1960 until 1977 which an need an MOT need to complete V112 form to be exempt from the MOT. (they are exempt from tax but not MOT)
AS the 40 years is a rollover, all cars registered in 1978 and next year all the car registered in 1979 on so on (depending on the month they are registered) will need to complete the forms for Tax and MOT exemptions and be registered as historic vehicles. This will also apply to all cars discovered or restored newly which does not have any paperwork.

According to this government document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...idance.pdf
the form V112 will need to be filled out for all historic vehicles to claim MOT exemption. This is text  from the document:

Vehicle keepers are required to ensure that their vehicles are taxed when used on a
public road. From 20 May 2018, at the point of taxing a vehicle, the vehicle keeper
can declare their vehicle exempt from MOT if it was constructed more than 40 years
ago. When
 declaring an exemption, you will be required to confirm that it has not been
substantially changed (as defined in this guidance). This process will be applied to
pre-1960 registered vehicles, as well as newer vehicles in the historic vehicle tax
class.
If the vehicle does not have an MOT and you wish to continue using it on the public
roads, you will have either to undergo an MOT or, if you wish exemption from the
MOT, to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.
Thanks Stuart
So for us the pre 1960 cars already on the computer we would be able to do it on line as Douglas Alderson suggested as per DVLA website. I think this apply when you need to re tax the vehicle.
I checked one of my cars in two different areas on the DVSA website. One says it’s mot exempt, the other says it might be exempt!

Roly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
(23-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Roland Alcock Wrote: I checked one of my cars in two different areas on the DVSA website. One says it’s mot exempt, the other says it might be exempt!

Roly

I recently Taxed my car without a thought about Mot, I later read that I should have declared the Mot exemption when I taxed it.
I returned to the site and entered my details again and the green pop up screen,the same as Roland had said your car is already taxed and Exempt, so it must have know from the original declaration that I made that it was a VHI.

Roger
The smart money SORN’d their substantially changed vehicles in April and re-taxed them on the 1st May suspecting that they then might get 1 year’s grace to let the dust settle. This turned out to be the case.

DVLA is aware of this administrative anomaly but is letting it stand. An MOT for a 40+ year old, substantially changed vehicle will not be required until its next license is due.

In the event of a claim, insurers’ first question will be, ‘has the vehicle a current MOT’?

Even if it doesn’t need one, get one – it’ll be your first line of defence.