The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car will only run on easy start... help please
Help...

I got the engine back together and it happily starts using “start ya bastard”. (Easy start) within a couple of seconds of starter motor.

I have taken the fuel bowl off and checked all jets are clear.

The manual pump lever sends fuel through the float valve. If the manual pump works I assume that the pump is working off the Cam as well. Any ideas welcome.
I assume the carb bowl was dry ? Take the fuel tube off at the carb and see if it squirts out when you crank it. If it does, it would suggest that the float valve in the carb was blocked.

If fuel is in the bowl, need to check fuel level in the bowl.
BobH
Try draining the float chamber and refilling it with new petrol (petrol less than 4 weeks old)then try the engine again. Some 7s are known to be difficult to start on stale fuel.I believe that it doesn't vapourise so well when stale. Once running and warm it will run on the old fuel but you will have the same problem once you switch off and all goes cold.
John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Dont use easy start alot as it is called ring buster in the trade ?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Thanks all

I put fresh fuel in the float bowl and it fired up. I would not have thought of that as it was running in December.

Have been around the block a few times and it seems good.

Cheers

Geoff
This is just my opinion and I have no scientific evidence to either prove or disprove it but I believe that modern petrol particulary those which have ethylene in them evaporate off some of the spirit element in them thus making it difficult to start an engine with stale fuel. If you can get it to run once the manifold gets warm then the stale petrol more easily goes to a gas and the engine runs. This is what happens each spring with a lot of petrol lawn mowers which have been laid up all winter.

John Mason
At the risk of sounding like a boring old f**t and repeating myself(again) if you lay it up over the winter it's worth draining the fuel in a final run and then putting some Aspen 4T Alkylate petrol in the tank and running it through. It's expensive but 1/4 gallon should be enough.
It'll start easily in the Spring.
We have an old MR2 we only tax for summer use , it stands from October to May unused, at the end of the summer I let the supermarket fuel run down as low as I dare and then put in a couple of gallons of Shell or BP expensive type , it starts and runs perfectly the following spring.
You learn all the time on this forum. What is Aspen 4T Akylate petrol.

John Mason
(19-05-2018, 06:06 PM)John Mason Wrote: You learn all the time on this forum. What is Aspen 4T Akylate petrol.

John Mason

John,

This probably tells you all you need to know:

https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/as...litre.html