The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
I have had a slightly disturbing experience with my Dynamator this week.

I have been noticing a rattle on tick over which was not there before and decided to investigate.  On removing the dynamo inspection hatch I noted some heavy wear in the camshaft gear and small filings inside the housing.  

This resulted in a full strip down and timing gear replacement on Wednesday for me.  The crank gear was totally unmarked and this suggested top end cause.  I removed the gear from the end of the Dynamator and compared it carefully to an original.  The new gear has a much sharper profile and I am almost certain that this is the cause of the rapid wear.  The new gear is on the left of this photo.

I have now fitted new (2nd hand) timing gears and an original dynamo gear onto the end of the Dynamator, blued everything up and checked for correct backlash.  This new set up has covered a number of miles and shows no signs of any wear - I will continue to monitor this daily and report back if I find the same issue occurring.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who has a Dynamator fitted check to see if the gear is causing wear, I would also encourage those people to change the new gear for an original one.

I have alerted the manufacturers to my experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - by Ruairidh Dunford - 18-05-2018, 09:44 AM