The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SORN and change of ownership
Looking on the DVLA website it isn't clear if you need to make a SORN declaration if you become the new keeper of a vehicle off the road since before SORN existed. Logically, the text regarding SORN reads when you take a vehicle off the road... So it needs to have been on the road since 1998 to have to do this... But there isn't anything on their website that states this.

Has anyone recently bought a vehicle recorded on DVLA's database, off the road since before SORN? Were there any nasty surprises, or is it still not necessary?

Regards
Nick
I bought a Citroen 3 years ago that had been off the road for 12 or 15 years. Seller sent off the V5C. No problems.
Jim
Seems pretty clear to me:-

You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:

your vehicle isn’t taxed
your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time, for example because there’s a delay renewing your policy)
you want to break a vehicle down for parts before you scrap it
you buy or receive a vehicle and want to keep it off the road (you can’t transfer a SORN from the previous keeper)

You have received a vehicle and want to keep it off the road, so you have to make a SORN declaration. Your problem may be proving that your log book / V5 is acceptable and that you can retain the present registration.

Why wouldn't you want to make SORN declaration as it is a positive way to keep the reg number?
BobH
I inherited a motorbike that had been off the road since 1969. The DVLA didn't know whether SORN was necessary so I just applied for change of ownership. I sold it shortly afterwards (another change of ownership) and neither I nor the new owner have had any comeback.

Peter.
I believe the rules changed in April 2017, so last 3 years probably not so relevant. Why SORN if you don't need to? surely the new style V5 is sufficient to retain the registration. If it doesn't need it, there is less chance of being fined for forgetting to renew (it may now not need renewing till the vehicle changes hands?) or for the next owner if it passes on to be fined...

Still wonder at the brilliance of the chap who tipped off the DVLA about "fake" Bugattis and inadvertently dragged half of the classic car movement into a whole world of pain!

Cool
You only need to sorn if a vehicle has been on the road since 1998. And thankfully you now only need to do it once. Not every year as previous. You simply undo the sorn by taxing it.

Ive just successfully recovered a registration number for a 1905 traction engine. Despite the information provided being correct the clowns have put date of first registration as the build date in 1905 ( Registration in the general series having only started in 1921 which is when it was actually first registered). The best thing was that within a week of recievcing the V5 (and having not taxed it promptly) the keeper got a letter essentially wanting back tax. Arse and elbow are clearly still not connected. A snotty letter seems to have solved that problem.

Thanks Zeto...

these pages are dated 2011 and the rules (and website) have changed. The 6th bullet point in the top list suggests it needs to be repeated every 12 months, but I believe this has changed. The latest DVLA webpage is silent about when SORN is not required, except for motor traders. If I have a car that has sat in SORNed in my garage for 20 years, do I now need to SORN it?

.png   SORN.PNG (Size: 62.72 KB / Downloads: 120)
I think it depends on the Tax Status as recorded on theV5C - I think for instance if the car has been on the old style V5 only (I.e. before SORN) and is then transferred to a new owner and put on a V5C the tax status is stated as NOT LICENSED...if this is the case it cannot be SORN’ed one only when it is ready for the road can the status be changed to HISTORIC...then it can either be taxed or SORN’d.

This I believe was the case, though with all of the DVLA goings on and wanting to change things every 5 minutes this may now have changed.
Nick, you do not.

My view is that with most of the vehicles we are likely to discuss on here. MOT exempt, VED exempt (or is it nil rate?) that its a pretty simple choice.

If I choose to insure a vehicle, I tax it. On the road or not. And I have one not on the road. (If its on the road, you must of course tax it)

If I choose not to insure a vehicle, clearly I am not going to use it on the road, but if it has been on the road since 1998 I SORN it.

The law required a vehicle (that has been taxed at some point since 1998) to be insured, (regardless of if it is taxed) unless it is SORN.

You have to be carefull of this. The wifes Golf bust its cambelt towards the tail end of one month. I pushed it onto the garden and we bought a new motor PDQ. Transfering our insurance policy onto it. At that point I cancelled the tax (paid monthly) So Golf now untaxed and uninsured and technically illegal. So I SORNed it.