The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update - Very Late Ruby up for Auction - Not Auction - More Pictures
My first Austin 7 in the mid 1970's was a very late Ruby, chassis number 290524, registered in January 1939, much later than this one. The car still exists and is still (I believe) the latest known saloon; there are later vans and possibly an Opal. The bodywork was standard mark 2 Ruby with a normal panel under the spare wheel, normal wing edges and normal scoop under the grille. It was original and tatty when I had it and had a normal amount of rust present everywhere. The late features were a plastic handbrake handle, Mazak radiator cap with a bar across it, slightly pressurised cooling system (water escape via a spring loaded valve), in addition to the steel sunshine roof, hidden hinge bonnet, rod brakes on the rear, metric wheel bearings and no registers on the wheels/drums. I owned the car for 5 years and did many miles in it.

I would suggest that the featured car has either been "customised" with P38 or a is a poor or misguided older restoration using the same material.

There were no modifications of this type to the body design by the factory.
A quick check shows the good news that the car (with number) is presently taxed and on the road...

Colin

Hi

Thanks for the information on the youngest Ruby - suggests this car has been modified by an owner.  However, there wasn't much sign of fibre-glass - must have been more a matter of cutting, fabricating and welding, though I didn't run a magnet along the long tail... Still wondering why so many small fiddly hardly-visible changes on one car.

Colin
Mike mine was / is ( FWE 442 ,now VXS 456) . I have a ledger entry from Sheffield archives showing about 50 Austin Sevens bearing FWE being registered on 31 /12/38 and 01/01/39
There are good pictures here of the Ruby FWE 456, Ch No. 290307 showing various very late Ruby features.  Note this is not a live auction.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/340-...50919&sd=1#

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is the blue object on the choke pull due to a recent over restoration, or were plastic pegs introduced for 1939?

.jpg   20210522_120631.jpg (Size: 124.81 KB / Downloads: 218)
Looks like the ignition and lighting switch upgrade.
Was this fitted to the late rubies?
Or a later add on?
It is in keeping with the 'Blue' theme throughout...
(22-05-2021, 12:50 PM)Tiger Wrote: Looks like the ignition and lighting switch upgrade.
Was this fitted to the late rubies?
Or a later add on?

The ignition and lighting switch is a modern, south asian reproduction of the wrong type, intended for a car with a regulator. The original was probably a spade key type, 1-2-Side-Head (PLC2?) switch. My late Ruby had this replaced in the fifties with a FA keyed locking switch.
The ammeter is not original either.
As for the pan head self tappers.......
This thread reminds me of my first Ruby bought in 1963 in Cambridge for £5 if I remember rightly. It was registered FWE468 on 29th December 1938, which was 6 years to the day after the 1932 RP which preceded it. It seemed like a standard de luxe Ruby spec with steel sunroof and drip rails rather than gutters. I understand that it was one of 3 Rubies used as a Hire car by Marshalls (the Austin Distributor in Cambridge) during the war; another was FWE444 but I cannot recollect the other. Those cars had the standard body shape and square fronted running boards.
There doesn't seem to be anything strange about this car - so FWE 435 that has some odd features does not seem to be as it left the factory.

Having said that - is the apron below the cowl a different shape on the blue car - it looks a bit more horizontal - or is this just how it is fitted?