The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short chassis prop shaft lengths?
[attachment=2603][attachment=2603]
I've been reading through an old thread on prop shaft lengths. Three are mentioned - BP28 20" long, BP73 19.5" long and BP93 but no length given. Did the length for the BP93 ever get tied down? Looks like mine's just a bit too short!
I think the consensus that it was the same as BP28...

Out if interest, why do you think its too short and by how much? I was wondering with mine [that is now on a late type 3 SWB axle and thus should be back to 20] whether 19.5 will be fine anyway, as presumably it jsut puts wear into a slightly different part of the carden block.

byut I'm not sure.
(28-04-2018, 01:57 PM)JonE Wrote: I think the consensus that it was the same as BP28...

Out if interest, why do you think its too short and by how much? I was wondering with mine [that is now on a late type 3 SWB axle and thus should be back to 20] whether 19.5 will be fine anyway, as presumably it jsut puts wear into a slightly different part of the carden block.

byut I'm not sure.

I think it's too short because the Carden blocks are sticking out the front of the housing. I'd say the prop is about 1/2 inch short to put the blocks at about the middle of the housing but when I measured it yesterday it seems to be the longer 20 inch one hence the question about the BP93. The car is fitted with 3 speed gearbox with speedo drive and Type 3 back axle but should have the Type 2 with screw in torque tube.  Thanks for the advise, going to double check the length again today.
Hi,
I have seen a turned spacer fitted behind the carden block. 
I used to have one but have not seen it for years.
I think I have a propshaft that has been cut and sleeved to change its length as well.
Anyone with a lathe and a lump of steel or aluminium should be able the make one for you.

Good Luck with your solution.
(29-04-2018, 09:20 AM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote:  The car is fitted with 3 speed gearbox with speedo drive and Type 3 back axle but should have the Type 2 with screw in torque tube.  Thanks for the advise, going to double check the length again today.

Scarlet - you are in exactly the same boat as me spec wise. Email me directly - I'm still wondering whether to use the 19.5 or 20 when putting it all back together!
Thanks all, should have gone to spec savers, checked prop shaft yesterday and it's a short one. Already started on a spacer to fit behind the housing which I should have finish today. Cap screws on one side to screw spacer onto housing, studs out back to pick up flange. JonE - I'd go for the 20" shaft, I'll email you a picture of the housing / blocks when I fitted the short shaft. Once again, thanks all for comments.