The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a Nippy project needs a caring new owner
Lots of photos here - car in Bristol - they would like it restored.

https://aus7in.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/...new-owner/

Nothing to do with me and I've only seen these photos to add the notes you see in the post. 

I haven't seen the car - I just spoke to the owner (and having the images for the archive may mean we can track its future restoration progress)
Jon..

Is there any end to "hidden gems" turning up,I noticed this little chap the other week.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C962238
Albert - did you notice the "To restore or to build an Ulster on the perfect chassis". It would be very sad if either of these registered Nippies got split.

The sad thing is that that green 65 was running well until its restoration was paused, but its got an original 65 crankcase engine and its now only just over 8000 quid for the whole darn thing - its been sitting on the market for ages. Tony B has eloquently posted elsewhere on the economics of it all unless it is a labour of love where someone can do the work themselves to get a solid body... and a bulletproof engine to protect the crankcase.

Would the green one have sold if it were over here and be more easily viewable, I wonder.
Ripping it up to make an Ulsteroid - an LWB Ulsteroid at that - would be a crime. I understand where Tony is coming from, but I've known a few people do a very creditable & robust job of restoring Nippies on a DIY basis over the years. It only costs a packet if you farm it all out to third parties. The Nippy is a smashing little 30's sports car, in some ways one of the best roadgoing A7's IMHO, and doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves.
Has anyone replaced Nippy bodywork to original pattern in aluminium? It's the sort of thing I'd love to do but would it be strong enough for the job? How stressed is the original body if they "Break in the usual place"?
I'm in favour every time of these cars being restored to there original form.

But many things make me ask the question " why bother "

For starters is the asking price, to high to by them in the first place.

I don't know what the red one is for sale for. But if they want to give someone the chance to restore it. It needs to be £2k or less. That way someone can spend £20k+ on restoring it over 4 years. At the momment it is more Ruby than nippy anyway.

I was offered the green won about 8 months ago. I think the price then was £11,000 and yes it's great to have the correct type engine. But the reson why it's been left in this state is because the owner has been given the quote to restore it. And probably fell over from shock when they were told.

Yes it normally costs more to build these cars than they are worth when finished, and that's fine when you get the satisfaction of doing it. But how much over its finished value should you pay before you realise, perhaps someone should have built an Ulster rep out of it.

The next thing is the number of people who will cut corners and bodge rather than pay what's needed to do it properly.

There is a stunning nippy with correct engine for sale in the scottish austin 7 mag for. I THINK £15k

Why not just pay that up front and have a stunning car for less money, not have to spend all that time restoring, and you can drive it now. Huh
The Scottish Nippy is a nice one but its advertised at £16,500
Which is just about the right price perhaps?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Duncan the type 65 is aluminium bodied.

I disagree with some of the views I am afraid, old car ownership and restoration is not about making money and part of the problem we face with cars being destroyed is because people look at how they can maximise profit from an unrestored car. Many, many cars still exist today simply because someone had the desire to ensure its survival rather than look at its scrap value, and yes that includes parting it out.

I own an RM saloon, it is the earliest survivor in existence, it is still registered and was dismantled by a previous owner. Now if I stick an Ulster body on it, ship and it to the UK I will make a heck of lot of money out of it, if I restore it back to its original condition and sell it here I doubt I would break even, and thats with me having the skills to carry out all of the work myself. Looking at it form a commercial point of view it is a no brainer, looking at it as an A7 enthusiast it is morally corrupt to destroy it. If the right person came along, somebody I could TRUST to rebuild the car not destroy it, they could have it for what it cost me....not much. Otherwise it will sit and wait quietly for its day.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi bill.

Priced from memory, and it's not as good as it was.

Although at £16.5k I'm sure the offers would come in at £15k Big Grin

Not suggesting it's under priced.

But surely it should make people ask themselves questions about buying bitsa cars at over priced adverts?

Tony.

.png   Screenshot 2018-04-06 21.52.37.png (Size: 127.91 KB / Downloads: 465)
Big Grin