The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction/ARQ
Greetings, my name is Mike and I am from Maryland, USA. I presently have a few British cars. A '57 Anglia, a '63 Minor,  a "65 Herald and a '72 Midget. I am going to make a 650 mi road trip, next month, to look at an ARQ Ruby. Here are the pictures that I was sent:
[Image: IMG_1138.JPG]
[Image: IMG_1142.JPG]
[Image: IMG_1143.JPG]
[Image: IMG_1145.JPG]
The car seems to be in pretty good shape, (especially for being 80+ years old), and comes with spares, (including a chassis). It was complete and running in the late 70's. It was parked and partially disassembled for a "freshen" and has sat indoors since. The parts missing in the pictures, (bumpers, instruments and interior etc) are supposedly all there. The owner is aging and needs to sell the property it resides in. My goal would be to reassemble it and fix what is needed to drive the Ruby. No nut and bolt restoration here. 

Any comments about the car ? Are there any deal-ending pitfalls I should be aware of ? I look forward to dragging it home and having you folks help guide me through the process  Smile . TIA for any input, Mike
The beauty of the Austin Seven is that it's so simple and parts so readily available (and cheap) that almost nothing is a deal-ender. Normal precautions when buying an old car will suffice.

On the basis of your photos, this car looks like a good one. Can you get any pictures of the engine, plus details of chassis, engine and car numbers?
Martin, the owner does not live where the car is located. It is probably as far from him as I. These pictures are all we have, until I get there myself. I have been told that it is all there, and then some. I will certainly get a ton of pics in it's present habitat, I like that sort of thing Smile . I also thought it looked like "a good one", it is in about the same state that my Minor and Herald were in when I added them to the herd. I enjoy taking them out and look forward to the same with the 7. Thanks, Mike
ARQ chassis numbers run roughly from 189xxx to 243xxx. Original engine numbers (which have an "M" prefix) are usually several hundred higher than the chassis number and the "Car number should be between ARQ 1 and ARQ 3xxxx. a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf will help you to find them. If the numbers on the car don't look right, ask more questions! I don't know how it works in the US, but it can be a problem over here. Good luck, Mike!
Looks quite sound from the photos. There can't be very many LHD cars still in existence, I don't think a huge number were built.

It'd be great if there was a spare steering box along with the spares package. Those wheels look like the rare 16" 'export' items too.
It looks good, better than the average "barn find" that we get over here.

Looking at the cars you have, my comment is that you will be working on the engineering of a previous era - no hydraulics or shell bearings, for example.

So be prepared to learn new approaches and ask questions.

I I were going to look at that car I would take a trailer because I would want to bring it back.

Cheers

Simon
Stuart, RHD is more curious over here, (my Minor is RHD), in this case, I like the idea of how rare these are. It is things like the steering box that I wonder about though. Regarding wheels and tires, not a bunch of choices out there. The ones on it are probably 50.
Simon, I am a bit anxious to go after the car. I have started with far less on far newer cars. I hope to not even paint it. As far as the car being from a different era, lets not forget how heavily the 100E relied on 30's technology Smile . I figure I am in for more of the same, dismal acceleration, abysmal braking and constant upkeep. I look forward to asking questions and getting the Ruby back on the road. Part of why I enjoy projects like this is learning. By the way, I am taking a 6x12 trailer, and my pickup truck. His wife said the garage is full and it all has to go. I think I like his wife. I'm envisioning an Easter egg hunt. It is better than 10 hours each way, I think it may be worth the time. Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike
There is an American woman with a New Zealand Ruby called Wellington.
She can be contacted on Austin Seven Facebook page and may be able to help.
Regards
from a very damp Findon
Gez

Hi Mike
She lives in South Carolina
Gez
I wonder what the spare chassis is. That could be interesting, so make sure you take some photos of that and stamped numbers or plate - it might be from an earlier car (which suggests, from others experience.... that you might end up running TWO Sevens...!)
Gez, I'll try to look her up. Thanks for the lead. Jon, I can only guess what chassis he has. It will be interesting to see ! I'm hoping to be able to squeeze it on the 6x12 trailer with the Ruby. Either that, or in the back of the pickup. I'l take a bunch of pics, for sure. I talked to the owner last night, I'll be going next weekend. I'll keep you folks posted. Thanks, Mike