The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED units for D and Pork Pie type rear lights…
You really are a good sport! Go for it!
(12-08-2022, 05:40 PM)John Mason Wrote: I suppose it all depends on cost. If they are cheap enough it may be worth the risk of buying a couple. If they turn out to be rubbish Chinese muck not much lost.

John Mason.

John, I've been trying out some lamps described as reflector lights. With stop/tail functionality. In red obvs

They were about £2 each and the intention is to run them off a cordless power tool battery which just happens to be 18v

I ran a test with tail and stop on continuous, and in less than 3hours melted the lenze. With the battery recharged the lenzes cooled and only the tail function I got 8 hours. 

I paid the £4 and got some new ones. With some sneeky little number plate lights, also chinesium at similar cost, plus some round reflectors, the rear of my steam roller will be legal in the dark at the cost of about a tenner, given I allready have the battery. Visibly there will be no obvious lamps fitted. Just 4 reflectors and some hefty black painted bolts.

So there really is no reason not to try

My conclusion is that the UK supplied ones probably have a decent markup. I not long fitted LED guts to the pork pies on my RL. Bought from a UK supplier, no complaints. But they were a good bit more money.

I'm told the lamps I am using fit niceley into the type of lamp used in Minis as indicators, so you can have a chrome bezel. You can also pop the lenze off and the LED emit red light anyway.
I am interested in this as our Sevens rear lights are from a 50's motor bike and are hopeless
I have converted my 30's trailer to LED but its 12v so easy.
My recent LED light purchases have all let me down after a few hours or weeks apart from the Ring ones I purchased at 10 times the cost
So if you buy a 12v LED it has a resistor to reduce the voltage to about 3 v for the LED so we should be able to swap this out to get the correct voltage for the LED?
I know a man who might be able to advise so will ask him next week when I see him and report back
I have responded to the email and asked for samples and prices, landed UK.
Good man.

I asked if they could make them for L471 and L582 units - they could, but require examples to be sent out to them.
I'm very interested too!
I have something similar from a well known UK supplier

The biggest problem is that red and amber split lenses for D lamps are not available, so the amber leds look dim when viewed through the red glass.

It's easy to miss them in bright sunlight Dodgy
Classic Dynamo (http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com)who advertise in the Automobile mag also do a range of 6v/12v led replacements which go into standard bayonet holders.
One of these also can act as a combined tail(with brake light) or front side light with indicator, all inside the fitting. You need to wire in a matching flasher unit but this can be hidden ...
I modified a pair of his tail lamp replacements to go into a single "beehive" type tail lamp which acts as tail, brake and indicator.

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer
.jpeg   IMG_2616.jpeg (Size: 114.05 KB / Downloads: 278)
David,
To get a red/amber lens I used ones intended for Land rovers. I have put white super bright LEDs behind them and they look good enough. Obviously I had to make up reflectors in a similar shape to the LED arrays offered.
Graham
Slowly rebuilding a '34 RP
I have LED’s in all my Ruby lights, sides, headlamps, rear wing side and brake, pork pie, side indicators and flashing trafficators. All from a uk supplier, not the cheapest option but they are all very bright. I have also inadvertently left lights on overnight during the Eurotour and she started without any issue of draining the battery.
The tail lights are all LED boards and the pork pie has a white down light for the rear number plate.