The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile phone mountings
Modern day communication solutions.

What solutions have you for mounting a mobile phone in an Austin Seven? I currently have a sucker mounted one which I used when I went to Santiago, but that was fine because I was riding solo and I could mount it on the left hand side of the screen. The problem is the vertical surface of the A7 windscreen because no modern cars are like that, the mounts are all set up for sloping screens. Probably the same if you have a 2CV or a Landy.

Now I will be sallying forth next month with the Mem'Sahib in the co-pilots seat and whilst I'll be able to see the phone, she won't be seeing much else either because it's right in her line of sight.  Ideally I need something to mount if flat on the windscreen, or something magnetic to stick it on the dash over the patent plate.

Any ideas?

You can see the mount in this pic:

[Image: 20190914-155732.jpg]

The white one at the top was my back-up Sat Nav. (which died half way over the Pyrenees.)
Probably one of the most challenging questions to answer - there are just so many blooming things. The very best bet is to look through: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=mobile+phon..._sb_noss_1 II
I have one with a stout but flexible arm that resists shaking pretty well. Here's one that looks to be similar but with the addition of a rest at the bottom. and one that's a bit cheaper and another for even less

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Why do you want to mount a mobile phone in an Austin Seven? When I drive, I ignore it and deal with any callers or messages when I have stopped. It's nice to get away from the bl**dy thing for a bit!
(13-08-2022, 01:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Why do you want to mount a mobile phone in an Austin Seven? When I drive, I  ignore it and deal with any callers or messages when I have stopped.  It's nice to get away from the bl**dy thing for a bit!
It's not to answer the phone, it's to use the built-in SatNav - Google Maps, the iPhone maps App, TomTom, etc. Very effective and the first two are "free". It's probably that, in an A7, you won't be needing: https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ but in your modern, it's a great asset.
Google maps is very useful because it knows the state of the traffic.
Edinburgh is chaos at the moment. North Bridge, the main connection between New & Old town, is closed. Without maps on phone it's impossible to find the way.
Jim
Hi Reckers, An online company lightinthebox.com have a number of dash mounts for mobile phones in particular a magnetic type with 360 deg movement. I have tried to put details from there website on here but failed miserably.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have always had problems with sucker type mounts - Frequently detach and fall to the floor, especially in hot weather.

Obtain a holder with a flat faced mounting bracket or possible modify the one you have to have a similar flat mounting bracket. 
Purchase 5 off 10mm x 1.5mm round Neodymium N52 magnets and mount them to the bracket with a quality Super Glue. I have done this with a Satnav fitted and it has not yet fallen down. 
They cost £4.89 on eBay (magnetsmagnetsmagnets), but be sure they are the N52 type. They are far more powerful than the N35 variety.

HTH
Thanks so far. It's to use the sat-nav facility in the phone. I have a 6v-12v converter under the seat and a box between the seats with USB sockets. For some reason the 5 volt double USB plug just wont work on 6 volts. Bizarre.
(13-08-2022, 02:02 PM)John Mason Wrote: Hi Reckers,  An online company  lightinthebox.com have a number of dash mounts for mobile phones in particular a magnetic type with 360 deg movement. I have tried to put details from there website on here but failed miserably.

John Mason.
Here you are, just click the link; it will take you straight to the magnetic and other phone mounts: https://www.lightinthebox
Some new phones had a metal pad at the back that allows them to be mounted to a front-facing magnet
This one John Mason?

https://www.lightinthebox.com/c/phone-mo...m=1.2.54.0