The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A SPECIAL (S) thought!
IMHO we don't need segregation, but we do need better Subject titles.

Things like 'Today at Curborough' are not helpful. And neither is 'Austin parts'. Then we get 'He's back again'.

Far better are 'Nippy Steering box ratio'. And 'Radiator repairers'.
Can't we all just get along?

By the way I see I am a junior member. My Austin Swallow must be a time machine because I am 63 and have owned a Seven of one sort or another for nearly half a century!
This thread seems to have run its sensible and friendly course to arrive at a logical conclusion.

Our small and perfectly formed A7 is an Ulster Replica and I didn't join this marvellous group to have to go sit in a separate room and I'm pleased that we're all getting along so well.

Best,

Bill
(17-03-2018, 10:47 PM)Ray White Wrote: Can't we all just get along?

By the way I see I am a junior member.  My Austin Swallow must be a time machine because I am 63 and have owned a Seven of one sort or another for nearly half a century!

As my ID confirms I am an Older Member - starting with Austin Sevens in 1955. 

I think an Austin Seven special is just that- a special built primarily with Austin Seven parts.

The sometime special made from many cars is not an Austin Seven Special and there must be forums (or the other modern medium Facebook ) for those so inclined .

This being the Austin Seven Friends Forum we must all get along but keeping to the general aim of 
Austin Seven owners helping Austin Seven owners should be the primary interest.

Just my view.

Cheers, Tony.
(17-03-2018, 09:16 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: IMHO we don't need segregation, but we do need better Subject titles.

Things like 'Today at Curborough' are not helpful. And neither is 'Austin parts'. Then we get 'He's back again'.

Far better are 'Nippy Steering box ratio'.  And 'Radiator repairers'.

I notice this comment has picked up a demerit, but I'm posting this as I DO think its an important part of any forum which doesn't have sub-divided subject areas. Two of the above I think are perfectly acceptable because first infers an event, last is an in joke, but titles ARE the key for newbies to search on - the middle one isn't really much use?

Lots of people with lots of experience do know or have worked out pretty much everything to be known and thus have a net role of advising others... as well as the social banter with others in the gang here. I love reading their posts for new ways of looking at things.

Thinking of how to summarise new threads is surely a good idea; or perhaps for admins to be able to alter thread titles to better summarise their contents when they are good threads? Good old forums DO die as new searchers don't integrate, and find better systems to find their information. We should surely all be aware of that, just as we are aware of trying to get new younger people involved with these cars full stop. Especially as this thread confirms that one of the Friends attributes is precisely the continued lack of desire to subdivide thread type.
(17-03-2018, 09:16 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: IMHO we don't need segregation, but we do need better Subject titles.

Definately don’t want segregation.

I find these headings perfectly acceptable, Because I read post fairly frequently I know what they relate to without opening them.

Maybe you didn’t know there an Austin Seven track day at Curborough yesterday, or a scammer who keeps trying to sell A7s on ebay, are you not interested in Austin Parts
A very interesting set of replies all round.

Incidentally, my notion, which wasn't a full blown idea, was to test the water, and specifically from those currently building specials, and perhaps more specifically, those who might be thinking about or are actively engaged in using a different engine. 

The latter aspect, a different engine (let's not discuss different engines in this thread) does cause contention, as does, so it appears, the notion of people building Ulster replicas/Ulsteroids etc.

My notion wasn't, for example a brand new forum, such as www.austinsevenfriendsspecials.com or anything like that at all, but if one looks at the format, there are already 4/5 (can't remember how many without checking now) differently titled "sub forums", such as sales/wants, events etc already on this collective forum.

So, the notion was simply one of these pre existing sub titles/sub forums entitled "specials".....not that contentious really is it?

This way, those not wishing to engage in reading anything about specials or new Ulster type builds, don't have to read them and specifically those who find  such ideas aggravating, and to be honest...there definitely does seem some on this austin seven friends forum who do express ideas that they don't like the preponderance of additional "Ulsters".

I decided to launch this thread when I saw a comment on the Lithuania thread....about that particular car best being left there...as if brought home, it might become yet another Ulster?! Clearly anyone paying £6K for any Seven is hardly likely to want to dismantle it and spend a fortune on creating an "Ulster" from such an expensive base. It appeared symptomatic perhaps, or at least might appear to, to some, that specials/Ulsters can easily be frowned upon by some...and they shouldn't at all.

Anyway, I'm not fussed either way to be totally honest, but...when some of us do have different ideas, and if some younger people (who we are keen to have join, so it appears) might talk about different engines, different special bodies, even more Ulsters, can we please just accept that not everyone wishes (or is currently able to) to spend £4-5K on for example, rebuilding a Seven engine, when there might be some alternatives available.

I value all of the comments/ideas/experience from those of you who have spent years with your Sevens, and long may it continue.

My next thread, might just be on different engines... it has been done before (some of you will yawn, but you don't have to read or comment), I know, but it keeps cropping up, so it is clearly in vogue.

Arthur
I like the simplicity of the Forum thread structure and would have loved, had it been practical, to stay with the old format to be honest. There was a conscious decision to keep an open feel to the 'Forum Chat' area, not to move towards sub-divided topics because it has worked well here since around 2005 (maybe longer?), other Forums chose that model but were/are not so successful.

It seems obvious to me, but perhaps needs saying, anyone can set up a Forum to suit their needs at any time. This one was and there is nothing contentious about suggesting another be set up. Suggesting however, is the easy part.

I have built or help build a good number of SWB and LWB Ulsters [sic], specials (a couple with Reliant engines) over several decades. At no point have a felt got at or frowned upon so I personally don't think it is the 'idea' of building these is the cause of recent angst.

I have noted the call of 'them and us' situations are most frequently hauled up when someone arrives like a bull in a china shop, is rude or tactless. If it helps, think of the Forum as a Pub, if you arrive to the table of quiet conversation amongst a group who are familiar with each other, who are they more likely to welcome?
I couldn't agree more Ruairidh and I've been contributing occasionally and viewing / reading daily since around 2006. Interesting to note that the Austin 7 Owners Club (London) sub-divided topic Forum receives considerably fewer posts than ASF and as far as I'm aware non members of A7OC (London) can if they wish register and engage with their Forum.
(18-03-2018, 10:49 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote:

Definately don’t want segregation.

I find these headings perfectly acceptable, Because I read post fairly frequently I know what they relate to without opening them.

Maybe you didn’t know there an Austin Seven track day at Curborough yesterday, or a scammer who keeps trying to sell A7s on ebay, are you not interested in Austin Parts

Correct, I had not heard of Curborough --- and would have welcomed the subject saying "Event today at Curborough".

Yes I was aware of the scammer who keeps trying to sell A7s on ebay, but 'He's back again' did not mean anything at all to me. Selling on ebay never occurred to me.

And yes I am interested to some extent in Austin parts, but it depends what parts. A couple of extra words might save dozens of people having to open the thread to then find nothing of interest.