The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Austin 7 Centenary Event 2022
(15-07-2021, 10:31 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: The Bristol A7C gave all the entrants to their 50th Anniversary rally in 2015 an engraved tumbler. I am still using it most evenings for my G&T.
I am still using the Warwick mug for coffee several times a week.
If I had a nicely engraved pint glass it would get a lot of use (probably more than is good for me).
The various fancy rally plaques, medallions, etc, lie in their presentation boxes at the back of a cupboard in the garage.

No prizes for guessing what I would vote for!

And there's your/our problem, Ruairidh!

I have more commemorative mugs than I know what to do with, and have no use for tumblers and pint glasses, whereas I would be pleased to put a medallion on display!

At least a medallion is small enough to put on eBay without crippling postage costs, whereas the pint pot would just be a liability  Big Grin
(16-07-2021, 09:09 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(15-07-2021, 10:31 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: The Bristol A7C gave all the entrants to their 50th Anniversary rally in 2015 an engraved tumbler. I am still using it most evenings for my G&T.
I am still using the Warwick mug for coffee several times a week.
If I had a nicely engraved pint glass it would get a lot of use (probably more than is good for me).
The various fancy rally plaques, medallions, etc, lie in their presentation boxes at the back of a cupboard in the garage.

No prizes for guessing what I would vote for!

And there's your/our problem, Ruairidh!

I have more commemorative mugs than I know what to do with, and have no use for tumblers and pint glasses, whereas I would be pleased to put a medallion on display!

At least a medallion is small enough to put on eBay without crippling postage costs, whereas the pint pot would just be a liability  Big Grin

You're right that this is the problem, Mike. I'm in agreement with David C's view. I've loads and loads of plaques, pewter tankards, badges etc. etc. etc but the only ones that are prominent in our house are my two engraved pint glass tankards I got for winning my Class a couple of times on the IoM. The rest are hidden away in cupboards.

Steve
thank for the reply, tony.

in a throw away world,so far it looks like people would  rather there comemerative items be longer lasting. and useable if possible. also cheap.

that narrows things down a bit.

tony
When clearing fathers stuff out, I found a huge box of brass (some ali) plaques from all the places we had taken vintage stuff to.

I weighed them in and got best part of £200!.
these last two comments are very prescient, but also show that it is all just 'stuff' in the end. The event - "in the now" - is the main thing. That was the only reason I'd said that budget was vital to consider at this stage, as if the event price gets too expensive then it will undoubtedly affect attendence for those who will just go for the Saturday after a Friday night camp. I'm presuming Beaulieu will also still be happening (or not, because of the Centenary event?) which might be just prior.
The Scottish Austin Seven Club have historically held their national rally the weekend after this event is due to occur.

We made the decision last year to run it in May 2022 so it will not compete for attendance with the Centenary event.

We are also organising a Club holiday either side of the Centenary to encourage more people to come down and extend the celebrations.

The Cornwall Club and at least one PWA7C centre are likely to join us on the holiday section too...
For what its worth, as some of you know, my other hobby is Traction Engines. I have effectively 2. I take the one that runs to events under its own power at its cruising speed of 10mph. (I only mess with Austin 7's)

One local event we particularly enjoy, is a 2 day event over the Bank Holiday.

We like many others choose to make it a 5 day event. I take 2 days off the week before, and the tuesday after. Drive over on the Thursday, home (or to the next event) on the Tuesday. We tow something called a 'living van' which is a 14foot long shed on wheels that is our accommodation. I usually get an Austin there as transport over the few days, for shopping etc. We have a scream. But as an exhibitor it costs me nowt, save the fuel cider and food.

I am contemplating more than just the weekend with Austins at the Centenary, but the costs are certainly making me think twice. Given I know the in laws fancied coming (and I have plenty of Sevens so they could bring one). But I know a good many folk will not pay effectively to exhibit, full stop. Even at fiver a car.

And even to me (who does a good bit of dealing), letting the trade have stalls F.O.C. seems rather strange (I do accept they pay the entry/camping charge). I deal for a number of reasons, not least because I like saving vintage stuff, like putting it in the hands of the right people. But I mainly do it for the money......
Hi Hedd,

thanks for bringing these things up.

There is no charge to enter an Austin Seven - just a per adult entry fee ticket. 

The event is open to anyone who has a ticket and the cost of this ticket is very close to being finalised.

There is no charge to have an A7 related trade stall, although this may appear odd there are several beneficial reasons for this decision having been made:

1.  We want as many trade stands on site as possible because for many attendees this is the most exciting part of the rally field! The nil pricing ensures that anyone who want to bring their surplus items to sell can simply do so without worrying about covering the costs of buying a full plot for their card table of "bits".

2.  Since the removal of a trade stand fees last week, some of the traders (who would have just paid the amount initially suggested), have now chosen to sponsor various aspects of the rally to the tune of three times the amount that was projected to have been raised by selling pitches.  This kind of donation will continue for sure.

So, in short, we will have many more auto jumble stalls at the event and we have already raised considerably more money to help reduce the ticket price to everyone attending.

It is also important to point out that every single member of the organising committee will also be paying the entry fee and their accommodation costs, nobody is getting a freebie.

The organising group is now 70 strong and have been meeting each month for the last 26  months, they will now meet every two weeks until the event itself.  The commitment of these people is tremendous, hopefully it will be matched by all those who simply want to enjoy the event by showing their support and attending too.
(16-07-2021, 02:58 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Hi Hedd,

thanks for bringing these things up.

There is no charge to enter an Austin Seven - just a per adult entry fee ticket. 
This is clearly understood, but the reality is still that If I fancy bringing a car for the Saturday only, bringing the Mrs and Child it is going to cost me at least £72 (based on so far published broad costs). 

I'd say it needs to be more than a pretty good day out at that!.
The ticket covers five days of events, exhibitions and entertainment, those choosing to come for one day only, will miss out on a huge amount.