The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPLACING FRONT BRAKE CYLINDERS.
Good afternoon. Would someone just go over the procedure to replace front brake cylinders in situ. my car has hydraulic morris conversion.
I understand the hub is in 2 parts, though I don't need to disturb the bearing I hope.
any info appreciated.
Regards RPM.
In order to remove/fit the front slave cylinder the hub and it's bearing have to be removed.
Thanks, Dave, was rather hoping not, oh well. Can I pull the whole lot off in one go? I have a puller although not tried it on there yet. Thought easy little job pull the old ones off and fit the new, but no , always something else in the way.
No, remove brake drum, then using the Austin puller draw off the outer hub. Remove split pin and hub nut then refit outer hub with 3/8" BSF plain nuts, now you can draw off the hub assembly.
You will need to pull the outer off first so that you can access the hub nut and split pin.
The inner may then lever off, or you may have to put the outer back on, if the latter put the brake drum back on with its 3 screws and wheel nuts the pull the whole lot off using your puller
I believe that you can  if the split pin is short enough and not bent right back you can line up the holes in the hub and knock it out, allowing you to undo the nut and pull the hub and bearings on one lump. If it doesn't look like the pin will come out you can hammer the socket onto the castleated nut and shear the pin with a big bar as you undo the nut... you then need to drift out the last bits of the pin once you have removed the hub.
You can if you want to risk damage to the the threads, I would remove the split pin first and that can be difficult with the outer hub on
(24-02-2021, 10:03 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: You can if you want to risk damage to the the threads, I would remove the split pin first and that can be difficult with the outer hub on
Well the clue is in the small print!

.jpg   20210224_212933.jpg (Size: 60.51 KB / Downloads: 198)
Nick, you do know you can pull the outer part off after removing the brake drum, 3 screws, and the grease blanking hole screw. Your post seems to suggest otherwise?
Thanks Guy's, great info. I didn't know the procedure. The split pin behind the large ali nut/ dust cap is almost out. just needs drifting through the hole in the threat, didn't have a small enough punch at the time, so will crack on in the morning now I have more idea.
Regards rpm.

Yes Zeto, The small grease screw. Phew ! would have forgotten to release that