The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lights on a moving vehicle
At the NEC last weekend I had a chat with a firm that is producing an L.E.D. illuminated warning triangle. It is a well built bit of kit and would most likely be far more effective than one that is not lit. It has about a dozen red LEDs which can either flash or be static.

Did occur to me that strapped the rear of a Seven and lit it would be a great safety measure both day and night. However I do realise there are rules governing this sort of thing. I guess flashing is an absolute no-no but would a static lit triangle be OK? Anyone know for certain?

The company is willing to enter into a discount arrangement for clubs.
(17-11-2017, 09:39 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: At the NEC last weekend I had a chat with a firm that is producing an L.E.D. illuminated warning triangle. It is a well built bit of kit and would most likely be far more effective than one that is not lit. It has about a dozen red LEDs which can either flash or be static.

Did occur to me that strapped the rear of a Seven and lit it would be a great safety measure both day and night. However I do realise there are rules governing this sort of thing. I guess flashing is an absolute no-no but would a static lit triangle be OK? Anyone know for certain?

The company is willing to enter into a discount arrangement for clubs.

Sounds good-- I have a breakdown triangle bungeed to the spare on our Opal and this presents a good reflective surface to vehicles coming up fast behind plus the advantage of being instantly on hand in the case of a puncture or worse.

Charles. In sunny Norfolk
I have always been led to believe that reflective triangles fitted to the rear are strictly for trailers only, if nothing else just to let the following vehicle know that something beyond is pulling it with a draw bar. A triangle used stationary in the road as a warning is not classed as a vehicle obviously. Still, if cyclists can use flashing high-density rear (and front) lights that are so bright as to hurt the eyes with impunity why can't we use 'safety devices' to our advantage, as the chances of being stopped by 'the law' are practically non existant.
Peter.
I've just fitted some miniature(25mm dia.) flashing high density LED lights on a retractable boom on my bicycle because I'm sick (and scared) of motorists coming so close at high speed on the village high street. eBay £2.99 each free post. Boom made out of ali tubing from an old TV antenna.
Three settings of slow, fast flash or continuous. They run on a couple of watch batteries using minimal power on continuous (I gather).
A pair of these as outrigger lights on the ends of your rear bumper might help in giving a rear aspect to following drivers...
Nick, We are still largely restricted by the British Road Vehicle Lights Regulations 1989. under this No flashing lights are permitted and No vehicle other than a trailer or broken down motor vehicle being towed may be fitted with a triangular shaped rear reflector.
Regarding LEDs they are not permitted under the same Regulations as they do not meet the required minimum wattage rating. Ironically the minimum was stipulated to outlaw dim lights ! The EU moved ahead and LEDs supplied  as approved factory fitted units come under EU approval and Whole Vehicle Type Approval. Complete units meeting Type Approval and carrying an E mark are permitted. LED " lamps" (not complete fittings) are not usually marked and are therefore not legal. Putting LED lamps in headlights designed for filament lamps can cause dangerous light scatter as their reflectors and optics are not compatible with LEDS.
Currently there are several car manufacturers who are making cars with LED brake lights which flash when the brakes are heavily applied.
I have been using LEDS for rear lights, brake lights, and indicator lights without a problem so far but I am advised that with the current vogue of performance tables, if a police force needed to make up numbers you could be stopped for these "offences" . As technically they are illegal, the lawyers who have to decide if matters go to court, would see this as a clear cut offence of the Law and submit it to the Magistrate or Judge who would be equally required to treat it as an offence. The car would then be deemed to be un-roadworthy and this in turn would negate your car insurance and you would be guilty ! One has to balance the chances of this happening against the wisdom of suitably mixing with modern cars with these safety measures. I don't anticipate the Government treating the updating of the '89 Regulations in the near future. Common sense v The Law.
As RichardC quite rightly states we should conform to the law even though it is outdated. Where I live out in the Boonies the only time I see a Police car it is reacting to an incident, but there is always the chance that officialdom is having a quiet time and looking for a 'pull'.  What could be an easier stop/ticket/fine/points than coming across an Austin Seven fitted with LED headlamp bulbs, flashing triangles and anything else making the car more 'visual' to other traffic. Sticking my mitt out of the window to turn right is still allowed, using my flashing trafficators is not.  Sensible yes, legal no. Oddly, if the trafficator arms are permanently sticking out they can be used as flashers, if retractable they cannot flash, only emit a constant light.  Another fine mess we are in Stanley.
Peter
Many thanks All. It is a pity but rather as I expected and it does seem clear that the lit triangle is a no-no.

If anyone wants to just have one for emergencies have a look at www.briteangle.com  It's a well designed bit of kit.
I have fitted LEDs all round to my Special and the van, including flashing festoons in the trafficators on the latter.

I'm afraid that I will continue to ignore the rules in the cause of safer driving on the rare occasions that I venture out in the dark, and trust to the good sense of the local bobbies who, despite what has been said earlier, have a modicum of common sense and much more important things to worry about, at least here in deepest Norfolk.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Stuart Joseph , your comments would be appreciated...............
Richard.

My understanding of the lighting regs is that pre a certain date the wattage requirements does not apply.

On my 1915 traction engine provided I display two 'white' lights to the front, two reds to the rear I am 100% legal. Even whe they are provided by paraffin wick lampa