The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you include in the perfect Austin Seven workshop?
One of these?  28' x 16', insulated and lined (when I get round to finishing it) and a pit.  A lift would have been nice, but we'd have run into planning issues.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Trying not to put too many newcomers off, I do not think you actually need a great deal to be honest
I know from my own experience of having nothing but the smallest garage possible, a set of normal hand tools, a home made 4ft x 2ft bench with a 4” vice and a pillar drill. To which I added a mig welder, angle grinder, electric drills, a couple of home made wooden trestles, work mate, clamps, and a selection of mole grips and several lengths of angle iron to fold metal.
With the exception of the engine rebuild which was carried out by my next door neighbour who had a small lathe in his shed and the front axle eye reforging which was sent away, everything else was rebuilt from scratch with just above.
Not easy but certainly do-able
Oh and a lot of enthusiasm
Lol what I was going to say!
Compressed air lines to each end and a compressor of course.
Beware of pits. Carbon Monoxide flows to the low points. When you drop a tool and bend down to pick it up you may not get out.  An uncle nearly died that way.  He and my father both filled in their pits after that.
Bruce
I rebuilt my first Austin Seven engine on the kitchen table!

My first workshop was made from 6'x 6' wooden fencing panels with a corrugated plastic roof. I did loads of stuff in there.

I think what you need most is ambition; the rest will follow!
Echo much of above. When most of the extensive work on my car was done by my father and my then  young self we neither possessed any socket set or torsion wrench. All non copper gaskets were made. 
A vice needs to be at least 5 inches; a smaller one if not space to mount can be attached to angle iron and held in the larger.
Some report using a water blaster to clean parts. Not suitable unless to be dismantled as drives water into everything. And the dirty spray travels forever.
My father deemed it necessary to replace one or all main bearings about every 2 or 3 years. He used to wheelbarrow the engine from distant tiny garage and overhaul on the kitchen table. I have heard simillr tales from others of the era when many people tinkered with cars..
(07-01-2022, 10:11 PM)Ray White Wrote: I rebuilt my first Austin Seven engine on the kitchen table!

My first workshop was made from 6'x 6' wooden fencing panels with a corrugated plastic roof.  I did loads of stuff in there.

I made a lean to extension to my garage using Ind Coope (Brewery)plywood pallet sheets with a corrugated plastic roof.The worst time was around this time of year when there was that much condensation dripping from the plastic sheets I thought it was raining indoors.
(08-01-2022, 12:06 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 10:11 PM)Ray White Wrote: I rebuilt my first Austin Seven engine on the kitchen table!

My first workshop was made from 6'x 6' wooden fencing panels with a corrugated plastic roof.  I did loads of stuff in there.

I made a lean to extension to my garage using Ind Coope (Brewery)plywood pallet sheets with a corrugated plastic roof.The worst time was around this time of year when there was that much condensation dripping from the plastic sheets I thought it was raining indoors.

………that thought had not passed me by.
Ditto!