The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ulster - MV 1344
Austin's father was involved in making the film "Withnail and I" - the quote is based on a famous one from the film.
Some more numbers.

Gearbox  X197X  and matching top.

Rear axle, 11 9 31          70    8 42

so for original largely undisturbed cars, the gearboxes do seem to be broadly respecting body sequence, allowing for replacements appearing in cars too, that takes them up into the 230s...
I assume that the Super Sports and TT gearboxes are also in this number sequence?
I've only seen one of the latter that "sort of fits with where it should".
Perhaps owners of original-ish Supersports could come forward to let us know what they have?
Indeed, any gearboxes on either! Or any gearboxes with X markings too. Early 65 4 spds have them too... not enough seen to establish any reasonable hypothesis.
I assumed that the gearbox and rear axle were both the originals, despite the rear axle not being a "big banjo" type but it does have the Ulster torque tube mount

c
(23-11-2021, 02:21 PM)Charles P Wrote: I assumed that the gearbox and rear axle were both the originals, despite the rear axle not being a "big banjo" type but it does have the Ulster torque tube mount

c

I've been wondering about the rear axle.
I'd like to examine more late cars and compare axle types and numbers.
A quick search of old photos shows  B3-2053, B3-3262, B4-3378 and this car all fitted with 'long nose' rear axles.
On 15" wheels with a 5.6 axle it would be flat out by about 65.
I'd agree with Hedd's comments on this.  I'd get a nice Ulster body built up on the remaining floor pan, try to find the missing bits, drive it and have fun. Any other combination is to my eye stepping further away from the DNA of the Ulster.  

But well done and have fun !

Regarding the gearbox - has it got the 'S' stamped on it - I may have missed it in this trail but a sports box should have an 'S' surely? I would clear away more of the grime to see if it is there.

Just found this old photo of my old car (no longer owned by me) showing the 'S' marking.

Another thing to check out - take a look at the throttle cross shaft mounts.  Picture here again showing sports mounts - are they on yours?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Damian - did yours have the X-digits-X markings too on edge of lid?