The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 913 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Georgie
Having just spotted, on Facebook, a delightful set of photos and an accompanying story, I suggested they be shared here; as the writer of the tale is unable to cope with this forum, he's asked me to do so on his behalf.

The Adventures of Georgie
After national service, my Mum and Dad Margery and Gilbert found themselves working in Bristol and looking for adventure… Dad found a 1933 Austin Chummy which had been hidden throughout the war in a locked garage and bought it for £30, it needed work and the hood was rotten, you simply couldn’t get anything that post war, tyres, spares, nothing… so ever resourceful they found some materials and a singer industrial boot patchers sewing machine and made a hood!
The front tyres were completely bald.. before during and after the trip 
They hatched a plan to tour France so together with Mum's friend Olive and Dad's friend Dennis, they set off in 1950.. with Dennis and Olive on his brand new Sunbeam S8 motorcycle…now bear in mind this was a scant 5 years after the Allies had landed in France for very different reasons! And l remember Dad saying that in places there was a fair bit of animosity towards the British because of the destruction!
On the whole though they were well treated.
The two on the bike were meant to be a couple…. But after the first day, Dennis was riding solo and Olive in the back of the poor little Austin 
There were no drive-on ferries and this must be quite a rare shot of a free-flying Austin!!
They obviously all survived because next l will post the same car camping at Ladram Bay 1953!
This car is still on the road!! I would love these pictures to somehow reach the owner?

A a footnote to that tale… before Mum passed away 4 years past, and she knew her number was up… my Mum broke no rules, ever!
She summoned me to the bedside and told me to look in the cigar box.. where l would find receipts for the cheeses  … somewhat puzzled l asked he what that was about?
Evidently during that trip 70 years earlier with UK still under severe rationing….. they had been offered in France a number of very large full cheeses at a bargain price…. These were stashed in somewhere within Georgie and snuk into UK on their return and no doubt sold at handsome profit… or traded for new tyres  .. she carried the guilt 70 years… expecting a knock on the door from the revenue 
Interestingly neither Dennis nor Olive ever married to the best of knowledge…. Was it that trip??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Where's Georgie - by Anne Griffiths - 02-11-2023, 05:00 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by robert regan - 02-11-2023, 06:11 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by bob46320 - 02-11-2023, 06:46 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by Nick Salmon - 02-11-2023, 07:08 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by Duncan Grimmond - 02-11-2023, 07:16 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by Anne Griffiths - 02-11-2023, 07:31 PM
RE: Where's Georgie - by Austin Nippy - 02-11-2023, 09:40 PM