The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much oil is enough.......?
(29-03-2022, 07:03 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: The garage (T.E. Jackson & Son) next to where I lived in Thornton-le-Dale in the early 1960s had  specially made crates to take the empty oil bottles, one for XL and one for Castrolite (?) and woe betide anyone who put the wrong bottle in a crate! There was a sloping drip tray with a lead-off into a can which the proprietor kept for his own use. I used to go and hang around in there "helping" and even though I was under age I occasionally filled petrol.
I got jobs like sweeping up and scraping the asbestos dust out of brake drums...followed by blasting out with the air-blower. Health and Safety didn't exist in those far-off early "10 year test" days. I don't remember actually learning that much but something must have stuck and I seem to have survived it so far, touchwood!

Duncan, us Yorkshiremen were being environmental when we didn't waste the last drops of oil.

But I've never found out how old is 'under-age' to sell petrol. I was just being given an evening job selling petrol when the boss realised I might not be old enough. I was sixteen that week, but was 16 allowed? He gave me the job, and I kept my 747 sidevalve Reliant topped up from all the drips left in the oil tins.

Messages In This Thread
How much oil is enough.......? - by Denis Sweeney - 28-03-2022, 10:52 AM
RE: How much oil is enough.......? - by andrew34ruby - 29-03-2022, 07:38 PM