The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much oil is enough.......?
On the recent post on E10 petrol mention was made of the Eurotour 2020 A7 Centenary Tour thro' Alsace, Belgium and Germany.
My brother and I are also taking our A7's on that tour and we have been busy putting together all the spares and stuff necessary to take along, and with our wives on board as well, space and weight is a worry.
This raises the question of how much "spare" oil do I need to carry on such a trip??
It is a round trip of about 1000 miles and no doubt there will be additional mileage along the way.
FYI, my Ruby has completed nearly 1000 miles now since a full engine rebuild including re-sleaving the bores and new pistons/rings, valves, etc.  Plugs are no longer oiling up as they did to begin with and appear clean and dry and amber in colour. Compression in around 120 psi +/- 5 across the four cylinders. I have changed the oil twice in that period.
I have managed to eliminate a lot of leaking oil problems but still have one which has been discussed on the forum previously, but as yet to be resolved.
I realise the simple answer would be to buy as I go and carry just enough to top up as we go, but from the initial rebuild the engine was filled with Castrol XXL 40 oil, mainly because 40 grade was the recommended in an original Austin One Shilling handbook no. 1400D.  
I do have a good stock of this oil but believe Castrol XXL 40 cannot be be mixed with other oils and will no doubt not be readily available from local garages along the way, so what do you think, how much should I carry??

Messages In This Thread
How much oil is enough.......? - by Denis Sweeney - 28-03-2022, 10:52 AM