The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rust removal molasses oxalic hydrochloric update
Still faffing about with solutions and this video was good (to fast-forward through the chapters to the summaries).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-tK1jwO-k
There was another frightening video where they showed that vinegar and the higher acids munched through iron filings pretty readily.

I now realise that HCl was a pretty bad idea, and the duff block I did ages ago obviously lost some real steel. He suggests that any bubbles you see are steel corroding with the acid. Phosphoric too.

So 'visible gain' IS actually pain! Or at least, not sensible in the slightest.

Oxalic - I'd been wanting to find out if it has any measurable effect on solid metal and he suggests negligible. I'm presuming thus that if its in one piece, you dont need to worry too much, whereas filings offer a huge surface area so the time the solution is in contact essentially lengthens.

What I hadn't realised is that Molasses includes (and presumably active component is) Oxalic acid; it's a weaker solution of oxalic.

Latest wheel derusting - trying tubtrugs with water-filled 2 litre milk containers as ballast to concentrate the solution nearer the part. The small 15L shallow trug gets 25% of a vertically-sitting rim in and doesn't use too much solution to get rim and lower spoke coverage.

Messages In This Thread
rust removal molasses oxalic hydrochloric update - by JonE - 11-01-2022, 09:08 PM