The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refurbishing distributor caps
(24-12-2021, 10:43 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Water DISPERSANT not water destroyer. Where does the water go if it is dispersed? I have asked this question many times and not had an answer. I have one though...Bl**dy everywhere!
It may work as a temporary measure but how many people then take the trouble to dismantle the system and de-grease and dehydrate the components? And then replace leads with tiny fissures in the insulation...

Duncan, it works, honest. Products like WD40, and deb Duck oil, displace the water and the water sits on top as globules. I guess the globules then drop off. There seems to be no need to dismantle and dehydrate the components. Porous insulation doesn't insulate when wet, it does insulate when all the porosity and fissures and filled with a water dispersing oil.

As for temporary, well if you spray enough on it seems to last for a few years, and to spray again every couple of years is easy enough.

It has saved the planet from producing an awful lot of replacement HT leads, and landfill from taking all the old ones.

I wouldn't use it on my seven leads, quality HT leads last a long time anyway, but for restoring dizzy caps yes. Take an old dizzy cap and clean it carefully with fine abrasive paper, dust it, spray generously with Duck Oil and leave it to dry. It works. I have even tried without even wiping water from inside a dizzy cap. Visible condensation inside the cap and failing to start.  Normally I would dry it then spray, but I tried (as an experiment) to not wipe, just a generous spray, shake it dry, and engine started straight away.

Maybe you have always steered away from these products, so have never discovered that they work.

Messages In This Thread
Refurbishing distributor caps - by Howard Wright - 22-12-2021, 05:39 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by dickie65 - 22-12-2021, 06:22 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by JonE - 23-12-2021, 01:27 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by Hedd_Jones - 23-12-2021, 03:27 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by David.H - 23-12-2021, 08:58 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by andrew34ruby - 24-12-2021, 12:20 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by Parazine - 25-12-2021, 12:55 PM
RE: Refurbishing distributor caps - by Ian Burton - 29-12-2021, 02:09 PM