The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed gbox innards - visual checks
I spent an hour getting a dry, topless gearbox rolling last night, finding two nuts and bolts (fallen in), a few leaves, and lots of congealed dust. I've done a lot of cleaning down internally with a toothbrush and diesel, and I've been rotating both shafts by hand with a sump of diesel to free up the deposits down below. From no movement, I now have free and easy movement on both in both directions. No hand movement of selectors yet. I've found these difficult to get off in the past, and gave up. (I had a very poor casing so just decided not to pursue doing anything with it) 
It struck me that I don't really know how to assess whether I need to disassemble further. How do I assess wear on the 2nd cluster which I understand is often "very worn"? And what else do I need to check before leaving well alone (and eventually trying out)
I did note that the seal into the clutch area lets diesel through, so clearly changing that seems a good thing to do and I have a couple of rubber seals bought after reading another thread.         

Messages In This Thread
3 speed gbox innards - visual checks - by JonE - 08-12-2021, 09:22 AM