The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
rear springs removal and body floor
I've just ordered some new rear springs for my '31 Boat Tail tourer to correct it's rather saggy back end.  They'll hopefully arrive this weekend and I'm starting to plan the job.  I'm aware of the "loosen bolts and find a rough track" advice to help free things off and intend to do that (although it all seems pretty clean so I'm hoping the old springs haven't been in there for 90 years...).  
My question is, having loosened the u bolt and through bolt, how do I get the bolts out - their upper surfaces are pretty much flush against the floor of the body - do I need to take the body off (!).  I've had a quick search on the forum, but can't see anything relating to this - perhaps my car should have an access hatch, but may have had new floors at some time and the hatch hasn't been put back in?

If the body must come off then so be it, but I'm wary of doing that as it's then likely to turn into a full restoration which I don't really want to start as the car doesn't really need it.  I know from previous experience on other types of old cars that once you get to the body off stage there are always things that can be found that are worth doing whilst it's off, but these little jobs can quickly snowball..

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Steve

Messages In This Thread
rear springs removal and body floor - by sparkeysprite - 20-10-2021, 01:47 PM
RE: rear springs removal and body floor - by JonE - 20-10-2021, 05:53 PM
RE: rear springs removal and body floor - by JonE - 20-10-2021, 06:59 PM