The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Paint matching
This may not be helpful, but it is my experience: When I bought my car (Blue Ruby) The existing paint had reacted badly with the primer in several areas, mainly doors. The previous owner had given me the paint code; So I had some made up, rubbed down and primed the bad areas and sprayed it; the paint did not match. 

I took the spare wheel cover to a paint factors and had a litre of paint made up to match (they used a spectroscopy device); rubbed down the paint (again) and sprayed it...The match was much better and blended well...Until I took it outside, it was a mile out; I had another lot mixed by a different company rubbed down the paint (again) and again it was a shade out which would have annoyed me intensely everytime I looked at it.

I reckon it cost me close to £200 in useless and wasted paint and materials and weeks of wasted time.

In the end, I rubbed down the whole car and did a complete respray, which took much less time than the previous attempts at trying to match the existing paint and which of course is what I should have done in the first place; and I have a spare litre of perfectly matching paint in case of misshaps.

I guess it all depends upon how much you are spraying, where it is what colour it is and how perfect you want it...Grey may be less forgiving than Blue...Or maybe not.

Ian

Messages In This Thread
Paint matching - by Captain Mike - 12-10-2021, 08:39 AM
RE: Paint matching - by Reckless Rat - 12-10-2021, 08:46 AM
RE: Paint matching - by Ilmoro - 12-10-2021, 09:12 AM
RE: Paint matching - by Parazine - 12-10-2021, 09:15 AM
RE: Paint matching - by Chris KC - 12-10-2021, 09:41 AM
RE: Paint matching - by Captain Mike - 12-10-2021, 01:39 PM
RE: Paint matching - by JohnD - 12-10-2021, 04:21 PM
RE: Paint matching - by Ivor Hawkins - 12-10-2021, 06:01 PM