The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far, is too far gone.......??
(08-10-2021, 12:19 PM)JonE Wrote: Howard - did you go the Phoenix route for your 1 1/2 crank, or a tested Nippy one? and how about rods? What cost element did "that bit" all boil down to, as presumably that also entails crankshaft bearings rather than checking the originals.

Hi Jon

No it’s a billet crank of unknown origin with nippy rods. Fortunately the white metal was good. I got change from £500 for the crank and rods. But I’d hate to add up all the rest…Bearings alone made my eyes water (I used the bearings suggested by Terrytuned, thread somewhere on this site). At a guess I’d say £3 to 4k for parts and machining and weeks of work putting it together.

The new engine is less radical, Phoenix 1 5/16 splash, Austin rods, Paul Bonewell cam (standard) and a 60 thou wedge skim on the low compression head. I’ll probably use standard bearings but I’ve done a bit of grinding and honing on the ports.  The block, head, crank, con rod etc are all away being seen to and balanced.

Cheers

Howard

Messages In This Thread
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 06-10-2021, 04:56 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 07-10-2021, 08:01 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 08-10-2021, 12:19 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by Howard Wright - 08-10-2021, 03:20 PM