The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far, is too far gone.......??
Having completed the restoration of my 36 Ruby which is an early type, I feel a need to carry on fettling and tinkering.
Another 7 is out of the question, space and wife will not allow!!
It occurs to me that the only part of Ruby I did not restore myself was the restore and rebuild the engine, this was carried out by a retired marine engineer neighbour who had numerous sevens in his early life and had rebuilt them an many occasions and was a very good engineer. 
I also had the rebuilding wheels, re-forging axle eyes, re-coating the steering wheel and re-chroming bright work sub'd out as I simply did not have the means to carry out this work.
And so I am looking to build a spare engine.
Ruby came with a numerous assortment of spares which included 3 engines, all of which were dismantled, 2 of which are 3 bearing and one 2 bearing.
So as Ruby is a 2 bearing that is what I would like to rebuild as a spare.
However the only 2 bearing cranckase I have has suffered a major catastrophe in its previous life and a previous owner has had a large number of aluminium weld "repairs" carried out.
I can see one of the welds is actually cracked and the crack extends below the weld into the base metal.
I think I know what the response will be but assuming these welds can be cleaned up and reworked what other issues should I be wary of, alignment for example??
There is a broken stud at the front of the case where the front bearing is located and there is some damage to the rear lip and I am sure studs will need replacing.
I attach a word doc with some pics of the busted casing, is this simply too far gone??
Denis S

Attached Files
.docx   A7 Crankcase.docx (Size: 2.33 MB / Downloads: 51)

Messages In This Thread
How far, is too far gone.......?? - by Denis Sweeney - 06-10-2021, 04:17 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 06-10-2021, 04:56 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 07-10-2021, 08:01 PM
RE: How far, is too far gone.......?? - by JonE - 08-10-2021, 12:19 PM