The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
block to crankcase joint - external seal?
I am a convert to silicone gaskets for normal engines and have built several engines using them and they do not leak. This following the advice that Ruairidh kindly gave fitting them.
The trick for me is cleanliness - no oil - dry fit - nip down - nip down again next day - cut the excess off. Leave it alone and just use the engine.
The first one with a silicone gasket I did has now done over 9000 miles and is still oil tight, happy with that.

For high performance engines I like the Sikaflex idea ,making sure it is a high modulas with no gasket, applied correctly it glues the block on - does not leak and helps keep the block and case together.
One thing to note is that it does not achieve its full strength for about 5 days.
The only problem is getting the block off becomes a task and requires cheese wire to cut through the Urethane.

Messages In This Thread
RE: block to crankcase joint - external seal? - by Nick Turley - 06-08-2021, 06:18 PM