The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for RH insurance about cherished salvage..?
Tongue 
Hi Emma

I'm not expecting a swift response to this.... I understand you may be using up a little annual leave (though I don't suppose you have escaped far in lockdown!)

Having read Martin's (there's no such thing as bad publicity) initial post about insurance (I understand deleted by Martin) and Tony's Boulogne racer rising from the ashes of a 95 year old's roll in the grass, I wonder if we can have a clear definition of what is cherished salvage. If one of our vehicles is written off and deemed unrepairable because of say a badly twisted chassis, does that mean that we don't get to keep the wreck? I could probably go and check the wording of the policy document, but that would be a bit like admitting defeat and reading the instructions for an IEKA wardrobe! 

I had always assumed the claim would be paid out and we'd get the remains back to cannibalise for every useful part. Reading the RH response in Martin's post I'm not now so sure.

It is a situation that I hope none of us will experience,  but feel it would be useful to understand.

And as an afterthought... who gets the final say on what is repairable? If you can repair or replace a chassis during restoration (in accordance with DVLA rules), can you not do the same after an accident?

Messages In This Thread
A question for RH insurance about cherished salvage..? - by Nick Lettington - 21-11-2020, 04:19 PM