The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - What an I missing
Hi Guys and it’s many thanks to you all!

I did some investigation/work along the lines you suggested and having done a 5 mile run today, the first since Sep due to being quarantined due to health issues,  other than one period of spluttering, all appears well. To close the issue and provide some feedback, this is what I found. 

I drained the tank and having initially had the issue with the blocked pump top I expected deludes of debris, but in fact there was next to nothing in the bucket. The fuel however was not good, it looked like weak tea, not clear like the fresh stuff in my can. Looking further, I noticed the carb piston was occasionally a bit slow to drop, so I removed the cover and cleaned the workings with Meths, checked the needle centering and reassembled.

With respect to the Dizzy, all looked OK and all checked out well with my Avo. However, when moving the rotor I noticed some play, up and down and sideways. On removing from the car the bottom/gear end of the spindle was tight and smooth in rotation, it was the upper quadrant that moved. An internet search however pointed me in the right direction and on removing the felt plug in the centre I found the screw which hold the two halves together, it was loose.

Therefore problem was a mix of old fuel, sticky carb piston and wobbly distributor spindle!

Many thanks to all for taking the time to pass on your advice!

Messages In This Thread
Help - What an I missing - by rogersirs - 19-07-2020, 10:48 AM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by Nick Salmon - 19-07-2020, 11:01 AM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by Mark McKibbin - 19-07-2020, 11:47 AM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by John Cornforth - 19-07-2020, 01:05 PM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by rogersirs - 19-07-2020, 01:40 PM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by Tony Press - 19-07-2020, 11:59 PM
RE: Help - What an I missing - by rogersirs - 23-07-2020, 08:20 PM