The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear!
From what I can see that doesn't look a bad box; also shows signs of having been worked on relatively recently.

The fundamental issue is that the sleeve has been able to travel far enough along the shaft to uncover the detent balls; if we assume it wasn't designed this way (big leap I know!) you have then to consider what has worn enough to permit this amount of travel - sloppy bearings, worn synchro cones? - not sure without it all on the bench in front of me. It may be a combo of several small things added up. I recall thinking when this happened to me - or at least a day or so later while stuck up an Alp trying to fix it - it had been a bit of a 'perfect storm' of circumstances, a bit of wear, an abrupt gearchange from reverse to first, etc.

For what it's worth - since you obviously have to strip and rebuild:
1. The whole operation is a lot easier if you warm up the case a little before trying to drift anything out of it. Just play a blow torch over it gently for a minute or two. Really makes a difference.
2. Clear some space and lay everything out in order as it comes from the box. Take photos and label things if you need to. Being orderly about it may save a lot of puzzlement later.
Plenty of people here will walk you through it if you get stuck anywhere.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear! - by Chris KC - 13-07-2020, 06:23 PM