The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder
I need to get a total of 5 battery leads made up, an earth from the battery to the isolator, then one from the isolator to both the body-shell earthing stud and the starter motor mounting bolt.   From the other side of the battery there is a lead to the floor mounted starter switch and then another on to the starter motor.

I was intending getting these made up by a supplier but it would probably be easier if I could make them myself so I could offer each up to more exactly determine the precise length required.

I'd always understood that crimp connections are better than soldered providing they are done properly but professional crimp tools are very expensive and some of the cheaper ones, which clamp up in a vice or are struck with a hammer, look as though they effectively just force a pointed tool into the terminal.

Bearing in mind concerns I've read on here about voltage drop do you think I'd be better to:

1. Stick with getting them made up by a manufacturer and hope I've measured the lengths sufficiently accurate.
  2. Buy a low cost crimp tool and use that.
  3. Solder them.

John.

Messages In This Thread
Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by John P - 23-04-2020, 12:22 PM
RE: Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by Renaud - 23-04-2020, 12:27 PM
RE: Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by John P - 23-04-2020, 03:04 PM
RE: Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by Bela - 23-04-2020, 03:17 PM
RE: Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by John P - 23-04-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Battery Cable - Crimp or Solder - by Renaud - 23-04-2020, 05:09 PM