The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backfire through SU and rough running
Hi

Our engine suddenly started to run roughly and backfire through the SU carb part way through a trial this weekend.  No 4 plug was very wet and the others dry so I suspected a problem on 4. 

The engine turns over easily by hand and no apparent loss of compression on any cylinder on testing cold with the starter. However, the tappet on No 8 valve was loose (disconcerting) so I have reset this, checked the others and expected the fault to be cured - no such luck, no change to rough running or backfire. 

I have now taken out and inspected all the valves. They are all straight, no damage I can see and they all slide smoothly in the guides. 

I am not very familiar with the bottom end of 7 engines but could there be a timing gear problem? 

At a recent rolling road exercise we fitted a short trumpet air filter instead of the previous pan one and got the distributor timing correctly set and the car has run very well since, no hint of a problem. I can't see a carb or fuel supply problem.

I have yet to test with another set of plugs. but have checked for a spark on each.

Any other ideas for me to try/check?

Cheers, Rod

Messages In This Thread
backfire through SU and rough running - by Rod Shaw - 09-03-2020, 11:18 AM