Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1931 RM converted to tourer.
Back in 1957/8 as an impecunious cadet at Sandhurst two of us bought (for £30 - a lot when we were paid 10s a day, before stoppages!) a similar 1931 special. Not so smart, it did not have a hood and the back end had a wooden coaming/structure to stop you getting sliced up by the steel body. The back had no seats & the huge (ex tractor) 6v battery was jammed behind the passenger seat. It looked a bit like a dinghy (previous owner was a keen sailor). It went briskly, I recall it had an oversize updraft carb ....the other owner was stopped by a motorbike policeman in Staines who wanted to know why it went so well...he also owned a Seven...let him off with a warning (just as well he didn't ask to see the driver's licence, as he didn't have one!). As it cornered the doors flew open and a fuse was a 1" nail!.  One Easter leave I took it home & rebuilt the engine on the kitchen table. Interesting motoring. I think it was sold on to another unsuspecting cadet and we bought a 1931 saloon. This one is still on the register as an "Ulster!" but "Tigger" is long gone.

Messages In This Thread
1931 RM converted to tourer. - by Dave Wheatley - 18-02-2020, 12:44 PM
RE: 1931 RM converted to tourer. - by JonE - 19-02-2020, 04:18 PM
RE: 1931 RM converted to tourer. - by David.H - 25-02-2020, 05:17 PM