The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa
Another way to build up a special is to use 100pct scrap parts for the mock up, get it looking like a car, make a start on the body, then as time and money permits put the restored bits on to get it rolling. Add any cast off smokey old engine and rough wheels and tyres to chug round a field while building up an oil tight clean running engine, decent box, and sorting out some wheels and tyres you'd trust. Over time better seats, extra instruments, period lights instead of the 2cv ones etc etc etc. No need for a dynamo to start with. Use a modern rad to start with. Improve the body over time with a better fitting hinged bonnet, throw the motorbike mudguards away and make some. You get the idea.

The same approach could even apply to the "mock up chassis", any old rust riddled loose riveted cast off to start with and repair or replace as time and money permits.

Parts good enough to end up on a finished car are expensive, all the rubbish folk can't quite bring themselves to scrap but nobody would actually pay money for might drift into his workshop through friends and friends of friends.

With it looking like a car, the motivation might be there to earn some money to get it done properly. If it looks like it really will get done it makes sense to get bits for christmas and birthdays. I've seen a car getting close to finished also sparks enthusiasm and generosity in others, be that parts, time to advise or help, loan of tools.

A Reliant OHC engine and box is another thought for a swift road car or trials special. However I looked on ebay and even those are nothing like as cheap as I remember.

...or build a Locost? Ron Champion designed that for school kids to build. A friend had a £40 Morris Minor engine in his Sprite, but it didn't last long and looking on ebay just now that's a "mate down the pub" price. I'm not convinced a Locost really is cheaper or easier than an Austin 7. The key question there is if that idea fires substantially more enthusiasm in you and he.

...or get the other Ron Champion book "Build your own off road buggy" but the issue for most with that is having somewhere to run it once built.

...or mess about with a Ford Ka or whatever else is being given away locally.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa - by DavidL - 13-05-2019, 09:56 PM