The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby saloon engine problem..
Hi folks, can anyone assist please.
I have recently completed a full restoration of my early Ruby saloon and however having just completed my first one hundred miles I had an issue with a head gasket failure.
My restoration has been in two parts, the first of which was 30 years ago which included the engine rebuild and the second over the last 3 years to finish the body etc.
The head gasket failure is most likely due to my own incompetence, I cannot remember what torque I had originally tightened the head down to all those years ago but I know when I removed the head yesterday the nuts came away embarrassingly easily with very little effort using only a short spanner!
So with new gasket and a modern torque wrench I set about replacing the old gasket.
However having removed the head I was surprised with what I found especially as the engine rebuild was complete with re-sleeve back to original size new pistons, rods, bearing etc.
The attached picture shows areas of the pistons that are coated with a black sticky goo which could be removed with a bit of effort and some paraffin. I have never come across anything like this before, interestingly, I contacted a local garage man who deals with older cars and he told me he had another Ruby in with exactly the same problem. He put it down to modern fuel but I am not convinced.
If anyone can shed any light I would be most grateful
Best regards to one and all Denis Sweeney

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Denis Sweeney - 18-01-2019, 04:41 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by spannerman - 18-01-2019, 08:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Bob Culver - 18-01-2019, 09:05 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 18-01-2019, 09:09 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by FrogPond - 19-01-2019, 12:50 AM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Chris KC - 20-01-2019, 05:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 20-01-2019, 05:23 PM