The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDF, G Clamps, Hammers and Steam
Hello All,
After all of Timothy's efforts to orientate photos the right way up,  I thought I would have another go at posting some pictures of progress with Slippery Anne

When building something, I like to make up a kit of parts, so that I can fine tune things as I go, it avoids problems breaking down assemblies when you find the inevitable fit issue. My current task is to skin the cars wood frame with ply and aluminium, which is what you see in the following picture. The ply skins are shaped and ready to glue to the frame. to get to this point, I made paper patterns, then cut the ply to those patterns allowing a small margin of error around the edge, they are then soaked in very hot water before being 'formed' around the frame. once they have dried out they become stable ply wood shells. With care, shallow compound curves are possible. Similarly, with the metal panels I am making up all the components before fitting it al together.

.jpg   IMG_1801.JPG (Size: 115.74 KB / Downloads: 746)

I once again resorted to MDF formers and G Clamps to help me form the curved section of an internal frame for the nose cone out of aluminium. Clamping the annealed metal between the MDF, the edge was shrunk around the former, I then welded the legs onto it, returned it to the MDF to true up and the offered it up to the car:

.jpg   IMG_1887.JPG (Size: 124.5 KB / Downloads: 740)

.jpg   IMG_1888.JPG (Size: 46.44 KB / Downloads: 741)

.jpg   IMG_1889.JPG (Size: 47.46 KB / Downloads: 739)

In offering up the undressed frame to the car, I discovered that the Ash part of the frame had 'moved' since I made it up a couple of years ago. It is seasoned English Ash with a lovely straight grain, so should be reasonably stable, but it had moved a good 10mm out of true at the top, so adjustment was necessary, to which end I used some localised steaming. I use a standard domestic wall paper stripers steam chamber and a small tin to localise the steam, then wrap the area in old cloths and towels to keep it nice and hot during the steaming. allowing 15 minutes for every half inch of the woods section before applying load in the desired direction.
One of the frustrations of working in wood is that it is that it can move like this component has, I usually make up laminated assemblies to avoid this sort of problem. The other frustration is the time you must allow for the various processes to work it; after steaming and forcing into position, it is important to leave it with the load applied for 90+ hours, that is 4 whole days while it dries out and the set becomes fixed, now what shall I do?

.jpg   IMG_1896.JPG (Size: 43.81 KB / Downloads: 736)

So, having visited a friends Chummy (thank you Michael) and armed with the knowledge Ian and Ruairidh gave me about early hinges. Whist I wait for the ash to dry out, attention has moved to making the bonnet. 

.jpg   IMG_1902.JPG (Size: 91.57 KB / Downloads: 734)

It has to be said that given my penchant for making paper and cardboard patterns allied to a recent interest in Irish Linen for covering the wooden body parts, has lead to certain members of my household suggesting that I may like to try dress making!

All the best, Mark.

Messages In This Thread
MDF, G Clamps, Hammers and Steam - by Mark Atkinson - 09-09-2017, 11:12 AM
RE: MDF, G Clamps, Hammers and Steam - by stuartu - 10-09-2017, 10:31 PM