The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days?
(27-10-2018, 04:10 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: I turned 60 in March, but am still trying to decide what I'll do when I grow up.

I've owned and used Sevens since I was 14.  I've been a member of the Bristol A7C for most of the last 45 years.  I've benefited greatly from this, but I must admit that never been involved with, or contributed to Club activities.  I went to several Beaulieu and BA7C Longleat rallies in the 'seventies, but after a few years felt that I'd seen it all before.

For at least 30 years I cited geography as my excuse.  Hereford was 50 or 60 miles from the home territory of any A7 Club.  However, even with the formation of the Hereford A7C some years ago, with a good many very nice people in it who I already knew, I still haven't got involved.  It was perhaps disappointing to turn up to a monthly meeting to find that my RP was the only Seven in the car park.  It was, admittedly, a cold, wet evening in November and perhaps I'm a bit too hardcore in my belief that our cars should be used.  I've had the same experience with the A30/A35 OC.

I suppose that semi-formal meetings are just not my thing.  I'd be far more likely to turn up (in an A7!) for a completely casual gathering at a local pub.

I guess, too, that as someone who drives a Seven hard, fast and furiously - if that's possible in an RP - as daily transport, the idea of a sedate run in convoy, pottering around country lanes, just doesn't appeal.  OK, I admit that I've never been on a club run and really don't know what I'm talking about!

One thing that I certainly can't fault A7 people for is how friendly and welcoming they are to newcomers and young members.  I've come across clubs where the attitude seems to be that if you haven't been a member for 50 years, you're THEM, not US.

My son and daughter, now 26 and 28, have driven Sevens, A30s and A35s since they were 17.  Hopefully they'll have something to add to this conversation.  It does seem to me that one of the biggest problems for the old car movement as a whole is that it's so difficult for young people to get insurance at the start of their driving careers and we're failing to catch them at that point.  Is a 17-year-old in a Ruby really such a terrible risk?

Sorry, that's a bit light on helpful suggestions!
With regard to young people's insurance. RH agreed to put my very inexperienced daughter aged 21 on with me as long as I accompanied for NO extra cost.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do people want from an Austin Seven club these days? - by Biddlecombe - 27-10-2018, 06:56 PM