The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Reviews
(25-10-2018, 01:30 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Bob and Chris

I agree that this is a useful book summary for newbies.  Of course the FAQ that you talk about Chris is already there!  Its the search box at the top right hand of this page.  Unfortunately its not that good (sorry management!) and, in my experience, doesn't pick up the words and phrases that I use.  In fact I find a "Google" search much more useful.

Cheers

Howard

These thoughts are very good in my opinion. Thanks Bob and all to date. I thought that a page on the website actually showing front covers of books would be a good idea too. I already have those books and have started revisiting them, particularly the Bill Williams book. I've done more trawling around the web too at various ideas.

I think that the "problem" isn't so much one of where do I initially look, but asking sometimes those who have been Austineers for yonks, who clearly know the ins and outs, might get a little fed up with newcomers asking questions which appear to be "the bleedin obvious" if you'll pardon the expression....whereas a compilation of books, with perhaps a precis of interesting articles on particular points of refurbishment/maintenance etc, might avoid the same or similar questions being asked by those of us anxious to extend our knowledge?

I respect the wisdom of others of course, and don't wish to tread on toes, but anything which would help newcomers such as me and others, would be gratefully received.

I don't mind scanning in some front covers etc.

Arthur

(25-10-2018, 01:48 PM)merlinart Wrote:
(25-10-2018, 01:30 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Bob and Chris

I agree that this is a useful book summary for newbies.  Of course the FAQ that you talk about Chris is already there!  Its the search box at the top right hand of this page.  Unfortunately its not that good (sorry management!) and, in my experience, doesn't pick up the words and phrases that I use.  In fact I find a "Google" search much more useful.

Cheers

Howard

These thoughts are very good in my opinion. Thanks Bob and all to date. I thought that a page on the website actually showing front covers of books would be a good idea too. I already have those books and have started revisiting them, particularly the Bill Williams book. I've done more trawling around the web too at various ideas.

I think that the "problem" isn't so much one of where do I initially look, but asking sometimes those who have been Austineers for yonks, who clearly know the ins and outs, might get a little fed up with newcomers asking questions which appear to be "the bleedin obvious" if you'll pardon the expression....whereas a compilation of books, with perhaps a precis of interesting articles on particular points of refurbishment/maintenance etc, might avoid the same or similar questions being asked by those of us anxious to extend our knowledge?

I respect the wisdom of others of course, and don't wish to tread on toes, but anything which would help newcomers such as me and others, would be gratefully received.

I don't mind scanning in some front covers etc.

Arthur

Bob's idea of showing this is very good...maybe the list could also show chapter titles as well, and perhaps this post or an eventual one could be a "forum sticky"...or whatever one calls such things, and perhaps a permanent page on the website opening index page?

Arthur

Messages In This Thread
Book Reviews - by Bob Culver - 25-10-2018, 06:31 AM
RE: Book Reviews - by Chris KC - 25-10-2018, 12:58 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Howard Wright - 25-10-2018, 01:30 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by merlinart - 25-10-2018, 01:48 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Timothy P - 25-10-2018, 04:23 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Howard Wright - 25-10-2018, 06:09 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Timothy P - 25-10-2018, 09:42 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Chris KC - 25-10-2018, 02:39 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Ruairidh Dunford - 25-10-2018, 03:42 PM
RE: Book Reviews - by Ruairidh Dunford - 25-10-2018, 03:46 PM