The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting engine & gearbox back into Chummy
(20-07-2018, 05:36 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: John,
Some people say yes to fitting the two complete as one unit; others no. I am the latter.
I know it can be a pain with this " flat spline " but once the male and female are lined up I use a jack under the gearbox, and with assistance, raise or lower it to mate up with the engine. Sometimes it can be very trying, other times the two just slip together quite easily. A combination of patience and bad language helps!  ( No mounting rubbers on a '27 engine )

No one seems to have mentioned so I’ll chip in a suggestion that you do not solidly bolt the engine onto the chassis at all four corners — the rear two mountings can be secured using long bolts through valve springs under compression but allowing a tad of movement. When the chassis twists it will move independently of the crank case which is a good thing.

Charles

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fitting engine & gearbox back into Chummy - by Charles Levien - 22-07-2018, 08:14 AM