The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Restorer - Advice on DJ4 Dizzy Base
(14-07-2018, 09:02 AM)Roger Wrote: Hi,
What type of front brakes are they, do you have a photo of the cable linkage, it looks different to mine.

Roger

Im unsure - much of the car came as-is from a previous restorer (who gave up part way through) some 30-odd years ago.  Ill be sure to get a decent photos next time im working on her.

(16-07-2018, 11:52 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Eddamoo.   Looks good.
Did you check that the king pin eyes in the axle had bearing surfaces that were at right angles to the pins.....ditto for the stub axles.  Also the brackets for the rear spring pins....were the inner surfaces square to the pins????  On my car all surfaces needed grinding to get them back to square......the rear brackets were worn at the lower faces........once square any gap needs to be shimmed out so axle can't move sideways on pins.  Non square surfaces in any of these positions will lead to rapid wear and car will not feel nice to drive anyway. 

Sevens will indeed put up with a lot of misuse/misassemble and run BUT that only puts off the inevitable.....sometimes catastrophic failure of bits, now becoming ever rarer.  Also I prefer a machine to run just right and get no pleasure when things are just hanging on by a thread and making wrong noises and rattles.  Sorry for bit of a rant but too many bodges get passed on to unsuspecting new owners who in their ignorance of nicely running A7s think that the bad bits are just normal for these cars.

Dennis

Many thanks for your kind advice Dennis.  I will definitely go through all this carefully soon before we crack on with the body!

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Restorer - Advice on DJ4 Dizzy Base - by Eddamoo - 17-07-2018, 07:42 AM