The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panel thickness of original Ulsters
Hello Erich,

This little bit of info which may also be academic, particularly because it is related to a one off car built by the competition department, but, for her second race season in 1926, Austin modified Slippery Anne's bodywork fitting a new bonnet, which, when measured with my digital callipers and the original paint still in place, this surviving panel is 1.24mm thick. The material feels like pure aluminium and is rather malleable.

I remember Richard Horigan at the Smithsonian Silver Hill aircraft restoration facility showing me a WW1 Nieuport Fighters engine cowling recovered from its crash site. The cowl had been completely flattened in the impact of the crash. However, he said that, even after 80 years in the ground, without any difficulty they had reshaped the item by gently pushing it out with stockinged feet. He found it to be very soft and believed it was pure aluminium.

Regards,
            Mark.

Messages In This Thread
Panel thickness of original Ulsters - by Erich - 08-06-2018, 03:16 AM
RE: Panel thickness of original Ulsters - by Mark Atkinson - 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM