The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KING PIN ANGLE BIG 7
BIG 7 AXLE
I notice that on page 182 of the Austen Seven companion that the Official Austin Company "Austin Seven Journal October 1937" states that the swivel pin angle is 0 degrees.
I am just checking my big 7 axle for alignment.  With 5/8" rods in the king pin eyes I noted that they were very slightly out of alignment......as also were the 1/2 inch bars vertically in the radius arm bolt holes., but 1/2" and 5/8" bars seemed in alignment at each end  I clamped the king pin eye at one end horizontally in the vice and using a Stilson with extended tube (motor bike fork tube) on the other end I mightily heaved to untwist (I nearly broke a rib when I pushed my body against the tube to assist the twisting!!). It is surprising just how bendy and elastic an axle is........however it must have done the job in the end and twisted just over the elastic limit as the bars are now as near as I can see in alignment, as can be seen in the photo below.

The next bit I notice is that the 'swivel pin' (king pin) angle certainly is not 0 deg. as per the Austin Journal for the normal 7 axle.  Using a protractor with spirit level attached I make the angle 82.5 degrees, inwards at the top on each side.

Does anyone have the info on the BIG 7 axle or know where I can find it.  I must assume that the angle of the stub axle will eventually give the correct CASTOR angle of the wheel.......we shall see. (I have an original old dunlop castor camber wheel aligning tool so should give old degree measurements instead of any modern fangled degrees  Rolleyes )

Messages In This Thread
KING PIN ANGLE BIG 7 - by Dennis Nicholas - 03-04-2018, 05:42 PM
RE: KING PIN ANGLE BIG 7 - by Parazine - 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
RE: KING PIN ANGLE BIG 7 - by Stuart Giles - 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM
RE: KING PIN ANGLE BIG 7 - by Parazine - 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM