The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next question, here now: Girling brakes
I would echo both what Ivor and Steve have said. I was taught to drive any car as if the brakes were disconnected and to use them only to bring the vehicle to a stand (this was advice from a roll-Royce trained chauffeur).

I accept that, in Switzerland, there are some pretty difficult inclines to manage. North Wales is not far behind at times! The engine is the best brake on the car and the standard advice used to be to descend a hill in the same gear with which one would climb it, using the brakes just to steady the car if and as required. using such a technique also ensures one doesn't end up at the bottom with no brakes because they have overheated and faded to nothing.

It is also useful to remember that the Austin 7's cable operated brakesĀ  rely very much on the geometry of the suspension and steering being in good order. Given the small movement of the brake components between brakes off and brakes on, even a little movement in a worn joint can translate into worrying brake problems.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next question, here now: Girling brakes - by David Stepney - 04-05-2023, 03:22 PM