The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low oil pressure after not running engine for some months.
(09-03-2023, 10:25 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Please don’t take this comment as being “ preachy” John, but I have found problems like this occur if the car isn’t used regularly, even just a ten mile tootle once a week keeps everything working well!

I don't disagree Ivor, however I admit I abandon my car shamelessly for long periods of time and have never lost oil pressure as a result. 

What I must add (sorry John) is that the practice of "starting the engine to circulate the oil" - especially if you plan on revving it up - is really to be discouraged. As an automotive engineering undergraduate many years ago I was taught that 90% of engine wear occurs from cold start-up - in other words only start the car if you plan on driving it. I have a neighbour who has owned a series of very expensive modern cars which he keeps in a lock-up garage, hardly ever seems to take them out but about once a week he comes down, starts them up, and sits there revving the engine for about ten minutes. I'd tell him not to (if only because it's bloody irritating) but from experience he's not really the type who listens.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Low oil pressure after not running engine for some months. - by Chris KC - 09-03-2023, 10:35 AM