The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on roll oversteer please
(13-02-2018, 10:18 AM)Alan Wrote: I agree with Ian. I ran flat springs all round for many years and never had handling problems. The subject of roll steer is complex and it’s as much to do with weight transfer and roll centre position as it is with spring camber. You could start by looking at what Austin’s did with the rear of the SV racer, but I’d advise reading. I don’t mean the internet, it’s too difficult to sift out the bullshit. I’d advise anything by Allan Staniforth, or RAce Car Dynamics by William and Douglas Milliken.

A bit of oversteer is no bad thing in a race car but it is how it is delivered that's crucial. If it starts with understeer moving seamlessly into roll oversteer like a factory MGB V8 that really is evil. The key may lie in the flattened springs and a car with a low cg. In the interests of lightness the A frame might be ruled out but there is the option of rose jointed links from the spring mount to the axle one on each side. This mod would add little weight and keep the axle positively located fore and aft though not from side to side.

If the car has flattened springs, does the front mount of the torque tube need raising to maintain its angle?

John

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your thoughts on roll oversteer please - by John Bonnett - 13-02-2018, 11:35 AM