The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rebuilt engine firing on 2 cylinders
I am not entirely happy with the results so far. The engine is really noisy under load, it does however pull well at higher revs, it has an uneven exhaust note and poor low down torque.
I can sometimes see vapour blowing out of the SU carb when blipping the throttle, and the I think the main rear bearing is in need of attention. When accelerating the engine sounds like stones being swirled around in a bucket of water, grumbling, rumbling, but not evenly. As soon as the throttle is eased that satisfying purr is heard even at speeds over 40. It is sluggish when pulling away or if dropping a gear is left too long. I have been working on the timing and can find a point at which there is power, in advance of which the rumble becomes unbearable and no increase in power. 
I think its going to have to be engine out and a strip to examine the noisy bits, timing gears, front and rear mains, cam, followers, flywheel, balance etc

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rebuilt engine firing on 2 cylinders - by Oxford Jack - 19-06-2021, 05:15 PM