The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate
I fitted hydraulic brakes to my 1934 Ruby, where I live, Brighton, to get anywhere, there is always heavy traffic to negotiate, so it is essential to have confidence that the car will actually stop, particularly with modern car drivers!

Hydraulic brakes do give slightly better braking due to the slightly increased surface area of contact with the drums, but as Ian says, it is the actuation that is different and hydraulic brakes are significantly more efficient with most of the pedal effort being transmitted to the point of use.

Furthermore, the hydraulic set-up normally features twin-leading shoes, rather than the original of one leading and one trailing shoe, so the hydraulic braking is more effective taking full advantage of the self-servo effect of the drum rotation (but brakes less effective in reverse).

On my Uncle's Ruby, he has cable brakes so I can compare the two systems, mine are definitely better, BUT, it is a lot of work to install and install right, I have tried to get the installation "factory" looking and it looks right. 

On my Swallow saloon, I have decided to retain the cable operation and I am keen to fit the Oxfordshire 7's brake conversion to the fronts to provide twin-leading shoe set-up, which whilst I understand is not quite as efficient at hydraulics is an improvement over the existing arrangement - has anyone first hand experience of their set-up?

Back to the thread, Tony Betts supplied the parts for my car and he was advertising the back-plates awhile ago, may be worth checking in with him?

Messages In This Thread
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate - by Mgibson - 05-02-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Hydraulic brake conversion backplate - by GK5268 - 06-02-2018, 06:17 PM